Re: Failed Rack Storage /12

SOLVED
Go to solution

Failed Rack Storage /12

HW Details
----------
Host: LP 2000r
SCSI controller: 2xNetRaid 3Si
Array: Rack Storage /12 (2xSCSI modules)

Problem
-------
both Rack Storage are blinking the fron led in red.

Actions taken
-------------
1. Checked all leds for all hw devices - normal
2. Checked the NetRaid boatrds using the std utility (firmware and from a diskette)
3. Removed and reinstalled all SCSI modules for all Rack Storage
4. Power-off and unplugged all devices

Current Status
--------------
front leds are still blinking red
2 REPLIES 2
Andrew Pywell
Advisor
Solution

Hello Andreas,

The LED on each HDD (besides the power LED) are effectively controlled by the NetRAID adapter(s). The NetRAID and RS/12 support SAFTE which is a form of enclosure management. You should test to see what the HDD LED state is when you power on the RS/12, followed by powering on the system. I expect you will find that during NetRAID POST, the HDD LED state will change from GREEN to RED.

If so, then most probably the NetRAID will also report a configuration mismatch. You will have the option to view/save either the NVRAM and DISK configuration.

Viewing NVRAM I expect will show all HDD at FAILED status and veiwing DISK will show all HDD with ONLINE status. If this is the case you should then save the DISK configuration.

This scenario typically occurs if the RS/12 losses power whilst the system is still powered on, thereby making the NetRAID change the disk status to FAILED (or iof you power on the system with the RS/12 powered off etc).

Have a look at your NetRAID configuration (CTRL-M at POST) and check for this scenario. Best of luck.

Andrew.

a) The case front led was blinking bcs this shelf contains two power units and one of the power cords was not connected to a power outlet :$

b) Your information about the disk leds were correct, txs.

c) After an entire day tring to fix this problem I found two (:O) failed disks in each shelf -- all the data was lost ;( ... After replacing the disks and restoring a backup everything is working well now.