Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Browsing Problem

Ivor-John Ross
Occasional Visitor

Network Browsing Problem

Hi,
I am running AVG (Not NIS), but on first boot in the morning it can take up 40 min to see the other PC's. Ping times are fine.
Peer-2-peer LAN, fixed IP, same workgroup.

Please help.
3 REPLIES
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Network Browsing Problem

I'm not familiar with AVG - what do the initials stand for?

If you are talking about a Microsoft network then it sounds like you do not have a WINS server on your network. Do you have a DNS? Are you using netbeui or NetBIOS over TCP/IP or something else? If you open a dos window and type:

nslookup hostname
where hostname is the name of a device you want to see do you get back an IP address (A.B.C.D)?
Does
nslookup A.B.C.D
give you the correct hostname?

What happens with
nbtstat -a hostname
nbtstat -A A.B.C.D

You can add the other hosts to the ...\etc\lmhost or ..\etc\hosts file if you do not have a WINS server. That should be much faster and shouldn't be a problem since you use static addresses. It's even possible to have a single LMHOSTS file kept on a server which everyone can use.

Ron
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi Ivor-John
I'm also running AVG (that stands for AntiVirus Grisoft) with a small network (XP + 2k + Linux/Samba/Apache + W98) with absolutely no problem. So AVG is not your issue.
What sort of systems do you have? How is network made (hub/switch/2systems with crossover cable/...)? What network protocols are you using? How do you handle IP's - fixed or dynamic?
Tell us more about your environment and maybe someone can help.
Regards,
Jorge
Ivor-John Ross
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the replies!

I will have a look at the nslookup.

I am running a 10MBps LAN, 8 port Genius Hub, peer-2-peer. It is only the HP Laptop (WinXP - NX9010) that struggles to browse. Once it has logged on and discovered the LAN is is fine. I am only running TCP/IP with static IP's.
This is driving my client and I crazy. Any help would be great.