108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup/Select

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenneth Toler
Frequent Advisor

Backup/Select

If you are looking through a saveset for a specific file that occurs more than once, is there a way to stop the backup/select command at the first filename match?

Ex

Backup/select=$100$dka300:[folder1.folder2...]filename.txt
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: Backup/Select

You mean beside a Control/y ? (Do not forget the /LOG qualifier).

I know of no way.

regards Kalle
Kenneth Toler
Frequent Advisor

This is an automated batch job and needs to exit the stated DCL command above as soon as it finds the first filename.txt. It is currently taking 5 minutes to search the saveset and will take longer which is not acceptable.

Is there a qualifier for the backup command that will tell it to abort once a flag is set?
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor
Solution

You may spawn the backup process, the master process checks for the restored file (check with OPEN if it is closed) and kills the subprocess.

regards Kalle
Guy Peleg
Respected Contributor

This sounds like an excellent suggestion and
may show up in a future version of OpenVMS

Guy Peleg
OpenVMS Engineering
Kenneth Toler
Frequent Advisor

Another thought: Is it possible to do a search beginnning at the end of the saveset?
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Normally savesets are written to tapes (in former lifes) and these are very hard to read backwards, at least the performance would suffer. For disksavesets this may be an idea to pass to Guy P.

regards Kalle
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

I would have just done a listing first then search the listing for the first instance of the filename.txt file. Then parse that into a backup script to actually restore the file.

I normally would use files and batch jobs with log files so that I could then append all the logs together to show a successful restore and exactly what was restored.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

The usage of backup journal files BACKUP/JOURNAL - recorded during the backup operation - would also allow to create a listing of all files in the backup savesets without the need to re-read the whole saveset.

Volker.