108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RMS: Descending key?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

RMS: Descending key?

I have an indexed sequential file, where a field contains the date as a number (yyyymmdd).
This fields is used as a part of a (segmented) secondary key to access data, from a certain date and from there on BACKWARDS in time.
The data is NOT static, can be changed, and duplicates are allowed.

It would be very handy if this key could be defined in reverse order - but I cannot find a way to get this done in creating the file.

I do NOT have the ability to handle this in the program, sort the file on beforehand or have the index read-in and sorted in memory, so the key MUST be defined "order=descending" or likewise from the start.

Is this possible and if so, how to achive this?

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
15 REPLIES 15
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Willem

Gefeliciteerd met de mooiste hoed.

I remember something of adding TYPE=DSTRING to the FDL
but I don't remember if this also requires program changes (you read reversed by default).
Wim
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Willem,

Check the "OpenVMS Record Management Utilities Reference Manual, Chapter 4, File Definition Language Facility".
You can specify a key of "TYPE DSTRING" in the FDL file. This should give you a key in descending order.

Greetz,

Kris
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Willem,

My memory came back after 15 years.
You will have to modify your programs unless the program can handle the reversed chain.

Wim
Wim
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Ha die Willem,

Mooie nieuwe hoed!

Besides the 'obvious' set of DESCENDING KEYs that RMS offers it provides an other alternative through RAB$L_ROP bit RAB$V_REV.

Check it out in:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/4523/4523pro_011.html#rmsref_rab_rop
Notably table:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/4523/4523pro_011.html#combo_table

This is specifically handy if you can not change the file, but can change the program (a little).
How does it work? Think about how 'three lefts make a right'. If the 'reverse' key is in the same (SIDR)data bucket, it simply goes left instead of right. If it was the first key, it must go up, left, down and find the right-most. The performance of this is less than that of a dedicated key, but very respectable for modests access. If compares favourably to having to maintain/update an additional index structure. High insert/modiy -> check out _REV. Low insert/modify but hight read reverse -> check out adding an index.

The attentive reader may want to check out XABKEY. You'll see that the code for a each descending key type = ascending + 32 (just one more bit ;-).

Wim,
You don't have to do much in a program to use a descending key. Just select the right RAB$B_KRF and presto!

Groetjes,
Hein.

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Wim,
The advantage of this program: it's brand new so no chnages ;-)

Hein,
As stated: I have to rely on the standard methods and cannot use the RMS structures directly. Still, thanks for the links.

Anyway: the program reads backwards, just what I needed.

Willem

Willem Grooters
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>>> I have to rely on the standard methods and cannot use the RMS structures directly. Still, thanks for the links.

I was talking about standard methods, fully supported and accesible by most/all languages (Cobol, C,...)

The +32 remark was just for the curious folks. All descending keys types are fully defined both in XABKEY and the FDL equivalents.

btw... I am sure you realize this, but if you add an index/key with the descending key type, then you do not need a new field in the record. You can just re-use the fields from the existing ascending key.

For example:

file; org indexed;
key 0; name "sleutel"; seg0_l 10; seg0_p 0;
key 1; name "omhoog"; seg0_l 2; seg0_p 10; seg1_l 6 seg1_p 20;
key 2; name "omlaag"; seg0_l 2; seg0_p 10; seg1_l 6 seg1_p 20; type dstring;

Groetjes,
Hein.

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Hein,

That's funny - I have the the same structure: a descending key in two segments. However, I run into unexpected behaviour.

Consider this:
Given ascending keys:

Segment1 Segment2

AAAAA _____ (where _ = space)
AAAAA 12345
AAAAA 23456
BBBBB 12345

Normally, if we have to read in part of a file, we try to locate the first record that matches our criteria - where a part of the key contains a value that may, or may not exist. In the latter case a status "KeyNotFound" is returned if data exists where the key value is 'higher', which may be just what we need.
So, when I specify "AAAA 12346", I get status KeyNotFound but record "AAAAA 23456" is current.

For this key in descending order, that would mean the record retrieved would contain the value just BELOW the requested one.
So when the key to search is "AAAAA 23457" - which doesn't exist - I expect to get status "key not found", and "AAAA 23456" to be current as the starting point.
But no: I get status "EndOfFile" and the last record!

(There is no NULL specification in the FDL, since ths first segment will always be filled; the second can be empty. and I only have a descending order on these segments)

Is this a mis-understanding on my side, a dependency of our environment (Synergy Dibol), or just a bug?

Willem
Willem Grooters
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

***** PLEASE IGNORE PREVIOUS CONTRIBUTION *****

It's my fault: completely overlooked a typo in FDL and program....

Willem
Willem Grooters
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Working wizards also make mistakes.
Non working wizards don't make mistakes and get promoted to manager.

Wim
Wim