New Discussion юеВ

Re: System permanent logical names

Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Are you in a VMS Cluster ??

The last thing to do is to add the definition to SYLOGICALS.COM

/Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Login as system. That should work better (your login directory is not valid or your login contains bad stuff).

The file is sys$manager:sylogicals.com. But as said, this is the last step.

If you did what you said, it should work.
As it's not working, something is wrong.

1) on a different node ? Note that 1 name can point to many nodes (e.g. cluster alias, lat services)
2) some tricky stuff with logicals (post in attachement show log/tab=*/fu)

Wim
Wim
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm missing something here! Wouldn't the easiest solution be to modify the mount command for the disk, i.e.

Mount/sys
Swain
Regular Advisor

Thanks Dave,
disk$* logicals are working after changing sylogical.com
but
$ define/system/exec AMS$CODE ALPHA$DKB400:[AMS$CODE.]
is not creating permanent logical name. it vanishes after reboot. could you pls give any permanent solution?
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Amaresh,

no logicals are "permanent".

If you want a logical name to survive a reboot, then you must recreate it during the reboot.

For system logical names, the obvious place to put your DEFINE commands is SYLOGICALS.COM, as this gets executed every time the system reboots.

Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

While it is true to define system-logicals somewhere in the startup sequence to be "permanent",
I would NOT follow the recommendations to put them preferable into sylogicals.com,
especially those which depend on mounting of disks.
Look into sys$startup:VMS$DEVICE_STARTUP.COM to see what happens (conditionally on FULL or MIN) before and after sylogicals.com.

The right place for disk/volume/mount dependable logicals is somewhere early in systartup_vms, best near the corresponding mount command, which in turn is best in a central command-file called from systartup.
And as said repeatedly, defining (concealed-) device names for mounted volumes should be done through the mount command itself.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Joseph - quite correct about device dependent logical names. My comment was only meant as a general guide to system logicals as a whole.

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Duncan wrote

>>>
If you want a logical name to survive a reboot, then you must recreate it during the reboot.
<<<

For completeness, IF you are in a CLUSTER environment, _AND_ as long as at least one (not necessarily always the same) cluster member is kept running, THEN defining the logical names in LNM$SYS_CLUSTER table WILL make them survive (actually, automatically re-defined) upon node reboot.

(Note, that even then, they will NOT survive a full CLUSTER reboot).

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Jan,

Excellent point re: using the cluster logical name table.

A corresponding cautionary note: While OpenVMS clusters and their facilities do have extremely long uptimes, I caution to have at least a command procedure that reconstitutes (if necessary) the cluster-wide name table (e.g., check whether the name is defined, if not, define it).

It would be rather embarrassing to define a cluster-wide name and then lose it after a decade or two of uninterrupted cluster uptime.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Swain
Regular Advisor

Thank you all for the timely response.