New Discussion юеВ

Re: mysql

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

mysql

Hi,

A few days ago I look to the mysql source distribution from the freeware CD. I realise that it is possible to write a custom storage engine. My idea is to write a storage engine which works with RMS files (index files for begining) and supports the VMS data types so I can access to old RMS files with SQL.
First tests looks good. The mysql storage engine fits to RMS without many problems.

Now the questions:

Has anybody try to do a similar work?

Anybody knows what is with the VMS port for mysql 5.1?

Bojan
26 REPLIES 26
Jean-Fran├зois Pi├йronne
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I have had some requests for a RMS engine but I haven't done any work.

Do you plan to release your RMS engine ?

The current 5.1 port on VMS is 5.1.11, I have planned to port the latest 5.1, but, yet, no schedule.

JF
Hoff
Honored Contributor

RMS connector: donno. Haven't heard of one specifically for MySQL. There are certainly ODBC connectors for RMS. Probably JDBC.

MySQL 5.1 beta (old discussions):

http://dba.openvms.org/phorum/list.php?9

http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=06/04/22/5056423

Contact info for SysGroup SARL was included.

In either case, Jean-Fran├Г┬зois Pi├Г┬йronne (jfp) would (also) be a likely contact.

Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Jean-Fran├Г┬зois,

As I said, I am only on the first steps. I done an engine rewriting the ha_example engine. It can read,write,update and can use indexes, it can also do some data conversions from mysql to VMS data types and viceversa. For now no locking, table creation etc...

If I succed in my implementation I will certainly release the code.

I am intersted in any 5.1 version. The storage engine specification is slightly different in this versions. As I see there are some more functions in the "handlerton" and it will probably be possible to use transactions when RMS Journaling is available.

It is possible to somehow get yours last port?

Hoff,

Thanks for the links, I found them when I was searching for the release.

Bojan

PS
10 points for Jean-Fran├Г┬зois are for his great work on mysql and other freeware port to VMS.
Jean-Fran├зois Pi├йronne
Trusted Contributor

Bojan,

I will try to finish the port of MySQL 5.1.14, I have started this port a month or two ago but I did not finish due to the lack of time. Then I will put it online.

I can also put online 5.1.11 which is a MySQL 5.1 beta but which seem to work fairly well as some VMS sites are running this version for near a year without many problems.

JF
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Jean-Francois,

For my experiments the beta version will be OK. Probably better than working on the old MySQL 4.1.14.

I will appreciate if you can put online MySQL 5.1.11.

Thanks in advance.

Bojan
Jean-Fran├зois Pi├йronne
Trusted Contributor

Bojan,

I have put online 5.1.11, same location as 4.1.14 kit.
I will try to finish the port of 5.1.14 next month.

JF

Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Jean-Francois,

Thanks for putting online 5.1.11, I have downloaded it.
Now I have to see which are the differences betwen the old version an the new one.

Thanks one more time

Bojan
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Bojan, how is the definition for the existing RMS file stored, i.e. field types, sizes, etc?

Rob.
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Robert,

As I said this are my first steps. For now I have put the descriptions of the existing fields in the comment string of each field.
In the comment you put the size,type,class (string or decimal scalar string) and optional scale and digits from the decimal scalar string.

This comment is parsed when the file is open and VMS descriptors are made for fields which need conversion. When the field is transfered from MySQL or to MySQL LIB$CVT_DX_DX is called. In the future maybe some more optimal method will be used.

Now I downloaded the 5.1.11 version and have some troubles in compiling from sources.

Bojan