1756637 Members
2458 Online
108849 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 System Fan LOUD

Romano Banchieri
Occasional Advisor

We receive 3 ML110 G5 CPU E3110, and each are different.

The first is good, with the temp sensor around 37├В┬░ and the fans less than 2000 rpm.
The second have the temp sensor at 40├В┬░ and the fans at 2500 rpm, little bit noisy.
The third have the temp sensor fixed at 45├В┬░ and the fans are every time at max speed, too noisy.

I don't know what to think about the quality of these servers.

kopper2 kopper2

any resolution so far?

harry haw

Ossian Birch
Advisor

Nothing arrived yesterday - one box turned up this AM - havent opened it so dont know what they have sent - from its size looks like a system fan only????? , but I wont be able to check or install it today - the post above BIOS is for a ML150.
Urs Koehler

Just bought a brand new ML110 G5 in Switzerland at ARP Datacom. The System FAN starts with high RPM when powering up the server which is normal. Then after 20 seconds or so the server reduces the system FAN speed to 3100RPM, where it stays. The CPU Fan stays at around 2500 RPM. The CPU Temperature reads 37 Celsius and remains there. The server is very loud this way.
Is this normal? I do not think so!!
Is the CPU temperature read out sensor the source of the problem as somebody said in this forum? What can be done to get this resolverd / fixed?
Does enybody had success in getting this problem resolved already?

Many thanks in advance for a encouraging posting :-) Urs
andrea dal zovo
Advisor

Hi. I've buyed here in switzerland directly from HP the same model (ML110, 3GHz Xeon dual core) and my fan is always at the max speed. the bios is reporting that the CPU is 46C (even on a fresh boot....). I think there is a bios problem. I've tried to flash again the last version of the bios but nothing's changed. My friend has buyed another one (from Techdata) and this one is reporting 37C and the fan speed is low. I think I will call HP monday for support.
srossbach
Occasional Advisor

Today I received the new parts from HP a Heatsink and a new CPU. The CPU HP delivered is a Xeon E3065 2.33Ghz and not the version which was originally delivered with the server a Xeon E3110 3.0Ghz!
For sure with the new CPU the server will work silent, I've 2 others with this CPU and no problem...

I think I have to call HP on monday...
srossbach
Occasional Advisor

OK new Call is opened. I will see what HP is answering. It can't be a solution to replace the CPU with a slower one.
As I mentioned above there was a problem before with this CPU. I think the solution is to fix the BIOS/Firmware...

BTW: It's interesting, 5 of the posters with problems are from Switzerland and 1 from US...
andrea dal zovo
Advisor

maybe is it possible that the special price for that server (390CHF with E200 and 2 hd) is linked directly to this defect... For me if HP will change the processor to a slower one is not a problem, but they can send me a quad core instead of a dual one :-)
I'm always buyed Dell server and I can say that i never experienced a problem like this (even on the cheapest line).
does anyone has checked the sensor on the cpu? Maybe there is a line of defected sensors instead of bios problems. Or maybe the change made on old release of the bios (on 2007) that reported a too low fan speed with this cpu has fixed the rotation ignoring the sensor data....
Romano Banchieri
Occasional Advisor

> maybe is it possible that the special price for that server (390CHF with E200 and 2 hd) is linked directly to this defect...

I can't believe that ;-)

> does anyone has checked the sensor on the cpu? Maybe there is a line of defected sensors instead of bios problems.

Temp sensor is inside the CPU, right ?
A lot of Defective CPUs ?

> Or maybe the change made on old release of the bios (on 2007) that reported a too low fan speed with this cpu has fixed the rotation ignoring the sensor data....

On 2 of my 3 server the fans rotation speed change with temperature. I fell like the report of the temperature is wrong.