1756766 Members
2948 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Performance

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Performance

I have a server (BDC) with an Intel M/B, dual PIII 500 Xenon, 384 MB and 2-9GB mirrored H/D. My Ctree database application seems to run faster on this server that on my ML370 (PDC) with 1 PIII 933, 640 MB and 3-18GB Raid 5 server.

My database users access the data via the Network and it seems very slow when it is on the ML370.

Any suggestions? Or, would this be normal given the above differences in hardware?

Thanks,
Don
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Performance

dual proc 500's would process faster than 1 933 would..that could be why
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Performance

What the Compaq person posted is no exactly right. But the bare numbers it looks like the duals would be faster, butyou only get about 80% of subsequent processors after the first. I have an ML370 that I am looking at right now. we just purchased it to replace our old imaging server. After the change over image times have tripled. i have be trying to narrow it down to the cause buck have had only a litte success. What has helped so far is maxining out the following settings on the nic. Coalese buffers, Receive Buffers and transmit control blocks.
I have tried other nics and swith settings. So far this has yelded the best results by a factor of three from the defaults.