ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1756411 Members
3521 Online
108847 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 and smart array 532

Luigi Valente

Proliant ML350 and smart array 532

I have a Proliant ML350 G3 with 6 drives on the internal side of the smart array 532. I would like to expand the array with 2 or 3 more internal drives. The supplied free SCSI connections are to the onboard SCSI adapter and not to the smart array 532 adapter. Will I be able to use this SCSI chain to add to the existing array? Would I be able to use this SCSI change to build another RAID 5 volume, by connecting three drives to the built-in scsi board? How would I be able to setup the new volume without using the smart array 532 configuration utility or will it also configure the onboard HP SCSI?
4 REPLIES 4
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Luigi,

>>expand the array with 2 or 3 more internal drives

I think you can add only two more drives by using ML3xx Internal Two Bay Hot Plug SCSI Drive Cage 244059-B21
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00400156#N103A7

You can connect cage to SmartArray 532 (SA 532 support up to 14 drives per channel)

Luigi Valente

Thanks for your prompt reply... I would be able to use a three drive enclosure that fits in the available 2 bay slot, which is sold at tigerdirect... or simply use two internal non-hot pluggable drives. My question refers to how would I be able to set up the RAID level for the new volume? Does the onboard controller offer me the possibility of setting up a RAID volume? Would the smart Array 532 see the drives connected to the onboard SCSI?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

http://docs.hp.com/en/227227-001/227227-001.pdf

With 532 you have only one internal and one external channel.
To hook two cages or three additional HDD, you need 5302 controller or any other controller with two internal channels

there is not way, that onboard will support hardware RAID config

RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hi... just FYI... the ML350G3 uses a Integrated Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Ultra160/320 Controller which will not allow you to create a RAID, you can only use it to make a JBOD, and if you decide to make a SW RAID... well you can try but here at HP we don't support SW RAID so...

RaMpaNTe
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!