1753534 Members
4984 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Red lid lightning array defect?

Gerard Zwaneveld

Red lid lightning array defect?

Hi,

I have two compaq ML570 wich have a red light lightning on one disk.
They also have the following error in the event log:
Physical Drive on SCSI Port 2, ID 2 of Embedded Array Controller, has failed. Failure Code: 0x0d.

Compaq Drive Array Physical Drive Status Change. The physical drive in slot 0, port 2, bay 2 with serial number "36126541 0050", has a new status of 3.
(Drive status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=failed, 4=predictiveFailure)
[SNMP TRAP: 3029 in CPQIDA.MIB]

Compaq Drive Array Logical Drive Status Change. Logical drive number 1 on the array controller in slot 0 has a new status of 5.
(Logical Drive status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=failed, 4=unconfigured, 5=recovering, 6=readyForRebuild, 7=rebuilding, 8=wrongDrive, 9=badConnect, 10=overheating, 11=shutdown, 12=expanding, 13=notAvailable, 14=queuedForExpansion)
[SNMP TRAP: 3008 in CPQIDA.MIB]

What should I do? What should be my first steps to take?
2 REPLIES 2
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Re: Red lid lightning array defect?

Hello Gerard,

best what you can do to bring your server(s) back in a redundant state is to identify the type of disk that has failed (i.e. partnumber)
and phone HP/support provider to get them ship you a replacement disk of that type if this is covered under warranty or support contract.

You then remove the faulty disk and insert the new one. The rest all happens automatically, the new disk will get a copy of part of the data residing on the other disks and once finished you are back ok and have a redundant disk array config.

It might also be good practise to check the web and make sure your server is up to date with f/w rev's on all levels like disk array controller and disk themselves since sometimes this can be the reason why a disk fails but is not really defective.

HTH

Kris
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Re: Red lid lightning array defect?

Indeed, simply pull out the broken disk in bay2, read the Spare P/N and call HP or even better call HP before anything since your server still might be in warranty (if <3years old).

You can run the Array Configuration Utility inside the OS to check the status before and after disk replacement. Note that it might take some time before the Array is completely rebuilded, usually between 3-6GB/hour.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!