KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Smartarray E200i firmware 1.72

hi

well guys if you wanna talk about HP, long long thread

here it is

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1060955

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
SPa
Trusted Contributor

Hi Joshua Small,

Have you been able to update the firmware yet.

If the Drive is one of the Models listed below,

DG072ABAB3, DG072BB975, DG146ABAB4, and DG146BB976

You can give the Online Firmware update listed below a try:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-fbc6c073e7f9400c95cb6bb971&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I was able to update the firmware using this.

Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Joshua,

you can try to clear NVRAM and then if needed re-updating the FW with the FW maintenance CD 7.91...that's what I thinki of right now

@ Pusspower : Seems like HP heard your PLEASE! here:

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1170956

:)

Regards,
Pac
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Ok,

To be honest I'm not totally sure what point most of these posts are trying to make. I can tell you however:

- Frontline support are every bit as much to blame as the developers. I called on three separate occasions to attempt to open a case about this issue and the best I ever received was "update your drivers and firmware". When I tried discussing the fact that it WAS the latest firmware which caused this issue, the best response I could hope for was a recommendation to update my firmware and drivers. To date I don't accept anyone at all in frontline support has ever listened to a thing I've had to say. Usually when I ask what driver they would like me to apply, they tell me to "check the HP website". You can't possibly ask me to accept that the HP website definitely has a better driver than the one I'm running if you don't even know what version the website has, or which one I'm running for that matter. It's also quite nonsensical that an error on POST (before OS load) would be related to a driver, and I would expect any level of support to have the intelligence not to argue otherwise.

- I've opened several cases with the customer experience team over the last few months. They are full of apologies and do manage to convince me to give HP another try. But they don't have the power to fix the incompetence of support.

- I attempted the online HDD update multiple times, and it never worked. It said it worked, but on reboot, the drive would be running the old edition. I did however burn a customer Firmware Maintenance CD with the latest offline update on it. This appears to have done the trick.

I have expressed to support that, whilst this server is now operational, it's not acceptable to me that an update brought the server offline, and asked if they have any knowledge about a further update or fix.

The response I received was that I should attempt to apply the latest firmware- clearly it's a waste of time asking these questions.
Carl Lindgren

We get the same BS every time we talk to hp support: "upgrade your firmware". That seems to be hp's resolution for every failure. They even use that when there is an obvious hardware failure, as in the last 3 times when we had a SAS drive fail.

Now we are getting SAS-related problems again and hp's stock answer remains the same: "upgrade the firmware". It is really frustrating.

When asked to justify the solution, they send links to hp advisories that have nothing in common with our installed hardware or OS. Here are their advisories and my response:

Advisory 1:

When installing HP ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) Version 7.40 (or later) on an HP ProLiant server (listed in the Platforms Affected section below) running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (64 Bit), or when installing Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (64 Bit) on a ProLiant server (listed in the Platforms Affected section below) using a SmartStart Release 7.40 (or later) Assisted Installation, the server may halt with a Stop 0x000000F4 error message in the following configuration:

* The server is configured with 7 GB (or more) of system memory.
* The server is configured with an HP Smart Array 6402 Controller and the optional Ultra320 Expansion Module for SA-6402 (Option Kit 273911-B21), which upgrades the Smart Array 6402 Controller to a Smart Array 6404 Controller.
* The server is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (64 Bit) and installing PSP Version 7.40 (or later) or installing Windows using a SmartStart Release 7.40 (or later) Assisted Installation.

We have not installed any Support Packs for two years. We are not running the 64 bit version of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, just the 32 bit Standard edition. I don├в t know if SmartStart was used to install anything on our servers but that was 2 years ago and I doubt there could be that long of a delay.

* The Servers have 1GB of memory.

* The Servers have an hp E200i controller, not the 6402 controller and do not have the optional Ultra320 Expansion Module.

* As stated above, the Servers are running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, not Enterprise Edition and I don├в t have a clue what PSP is.

Advisory 2:

Consider the following scenario:

* You are using one of the following computer configurations:
** The original release version of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with hotfix 842642 applied
** Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) . The following registry subkey is enabled:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize\SupportLinkedFontConTextOut

Additionally, the value of the SupportLinkedFontConTextOut entry is 1.

* You are running the Japanese version of Windows Server 2003. Windows Server 2003 is configured to use Japanese for non-Unicode programs.

* At the command prompt, you run a command that contains kanji characters. You then change the Command Prompt window to full-screen mode.

I checked the list of installed updates on a random server and we have not installed hotfix 842642.

There is no subkey in the registry for SupportLinkedFontConTextOut.

Solly, no Japanese here.

What are kanji characters? Sounds like anime to me ;>). Not here.