ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1757233 Members
2665 Online
108859 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLo remote console unsupported text mode

Lars Eik_1

iLo remote console unsupported text mode

I have one server that "dies" whenever it is rebooted. I have to use cold boot in iLo to get it started again. Remote console in iLo says:
"monitored server console is in an unsupported text mode". iLo otherwise says server is ON. iLo advanced license is ok.

Bios and iLo firmware are updated (a few days ago). Have tried resetting bios. I can see a few other have had this problem but found no solution. It is frustrating because the server is scheduled to restart every night, and then has to be startet manually. I think it must be a hardware problem because the same thing happens if I abort booting windows with F8 and then ctr-alt-del.
/$magic/
3 REPLIES 3
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Re: iLo remote console unsupported text mode

Hi Lars,

I would suggest you to log a call with HP Support. You need to check the ILO event log and Integrated Management log to get more information on what is going on. That might give some help.

Regards.
Raj.
Lars Eik_1

iLo log and Intergrated Management Log looks fine, both before and after bios/firmware updates.
This is server POST codes:
FE04 EISA Initialization
FE08 PCI Initialization
FE0C Processor Initialization
FE10 Video Initialization
FE14 Cache Initialization
FE18 USB Initialization
FE1C Memory Test
FE20 Memory Initialization
FE24 USB Startup
FE28 Floppy Controller Test
FE2C Option ROM Initialization
FE30 ATAPI Option ROM Initialization
FE34 BBS Initialization
FE38 Begin BOOT Process
FE48 Attempting CD Boot
FE54 No bootable devices
FE40 Attempting Floppy Boot
FE54 No bootable devices
FE54 No bootable devices
FE44 Attempting HD Boot
FE50 Passing control to boot sector code
/$magic/
Lars Eik_1

Solved: Allthough there was no error in any logs the server actually had problems with memory. I took out two memory blocks and the rebooting issue was fine. I did not hear any beeps or anything.

The problem before was that when the server rebooted the screen went blank and we had to start it up manually, it just hung like before it should start showing the memory counting and POST messages on screen. iLo remote control just said unsupported graphics mode.
Looks like it got stuck while initializing the BIOS..
/$magic/