Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1757437 Members
2630 Online
108861 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Does any of the PSP software have to be installed on the SIM CMS host?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Hasler
Advisor

Does any of the PSP software have to be installed on the SIM CMS host?

Does any of the software from the PSP such as the hp-health, hp-snmp-agents, or hpsmh have to be installed on the SIM CMS host?

In the SIM 5.3 Installation and Configuration Guide for Linux the Requirements section, specifically the Software required for the CMS is:

-Open SSH ver. 1.0 or later
-PSP for Linux 7.0 or later
-and the database of choice

Is the PSP listed just for the hosts that will be managed by the CMS or does the CMS acutally need some of the PSP softare? If so what parts of the PSP specifically need to be on the CMS?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Can HP SIM be hosted on Linux on a plain-vanilla box to which the PSP doesn't even apply (and therefore can't be installed)? Yes. Even though it technically works, it is a violation of the EULA--HP SIM isn't "free," you "buy" a license when you purchase a ProLiant server.

However, if your CMS host is a ProLiant, you still want it to be manageable. Just because it's a CMS doesn't mean it can't have a disk failure, power supply go out, etc.
Chris Hasler
Advisor

Thanks for the reply and information.

I was not suggesting running CIM on a non-ProLiant host, and I agree that the CIM should be a monitored and managed server...but what if it's a VM?

I'm currently running SIM 5.3 on a Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.3 VM which is on a DL385 G5p VMWare ESX 3.5 host.

The SIM 5.3 Installation and Configuration Guide for Linux states that SIM can be run on a VM but it does not state what PSP software is compatiable on a VM.

I installed the following from the OEL PSP 8.31-5:
hp-health-8.3.1.2-2.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hp-snmp-agents-8.3.0.27-24.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hpsmh-3.0.2-77.x86_64.rpm
hp-smh-templates-8.3.0.9-13.noarch.rpm

But when attempting to start the hp-health agent the message: ERROR: This Server is NOT Supported! is displayed.

Also when starting the hp-snmp-agents service the Standard Equipment agent cmastdeqd does not start. The /var/log/hp-smp-agents/cma.log has the following regarding the agent:

Starting Standard Equipment agent (cmastdeqd): Jan 21 17:17:24 unixsim cmastdeqd[13837]: Cannot run this utility on a non-Compaq machine.

I can start hpsmhd but when I access the smh via a browser it doesn't seem right...but I really don't expect to see much here since the host is a vm.

I think that I need the Insight VMM plug-in but it's only available for CIM on Windows and only manages Windows vms.

Is anyone running PSP software on Linux VMs?

Thanks,
Chris H.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

For all intensive purpose, a VM is 'vanilla.' It has none of the 'hardware' value-add that makes up a ProLiant, so the PSP doesn't apply.

The PSP is all about hardware support, and since the 'hardware' of a VM is synthetic, it doesn't apply, and all of the modules will pretty much fail to install (there's some exceptions, like the SMH, because it's basically a web server, but even if it installs, none of the supporting components will, so the SMH will be empty).

Further, VMs have no awareness and are isolated from the actual hardware, so there's nothing that applies.

As far as HP SIM goes, there's very little that's "interesting" to it about a VM, save for maybe how much memory it's configured with and how full the storage is, so we don't create any agents for use in a VM. The stuff that's necessary we can gather from WBEM if it's available, so you might want to install the OpenPegasus RPMs if you haven't already.
Chris Hasler
Advisor

Thanks again,

I was reading other older forum posts and had determined that is the direction I need to investigate further.

Chris H.