Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748288 Members
3489 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM Agent - Qlogic Storage view - ESX 4

John M Gibson

HP SIM Agent - Qlogic Storage view - ESX 4

Hi im trying to configure the HP SIM Agents on a HP 460 and 680c Blades on ESX 4 hosts.

Ive downloaded the latest Qlogic HBA drivers, qlapi_vmw-v4.00build26.tgz (SNIA API Library for VMware (QLogic) driver v8.02.01-K1-VMW38
) and the HP Sim ESX 4 Agent hpmgmt-8.2.5-vmware4x.tar.

I deployed ESX 4. Installed the Qlogic drivers then the HP Sim agent, configured snmpd.conf as it should be.

the HP Sim agents work, and I can logon to the HP Sim web page OK. The qlogic test utility hbaapitest works and shows the Qlogic drivers are working Model QMH2462 and vCenter client shows the Qlogic HBAs in the servers.

The HP Sim agent isnt showing up the HBAs though.

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
SmooshedFace76
Advisor

Re: HP SIM Agent - Qlogic Storage view - ESX 4

This is normal....

Since you're using qlogic drivers which were not provided by HP, the insight agents can't read the driver details in the SMH.

It's very rare that anyone would actually use the universal HBA drivers supplied by HP. In most cases, you'll need to use a specific version of a qlogic driver supported by your SAN array vendor

I wouldn't worry about it b/c it seems to be a cosmetic issue.

Of course, this will be hard to generate reports in SIM with correct HBA details. To get around the reporting issue, I was able to download the qlogic SanSurfer utility and installed the agent on my servers.
John M Gibson

Of course its not normal... Its supposed to work.

Ive downloaded the latest Qlogic HBA drivers, qlapi_vmw-v4.00build26.tgz (SNIA API Library for VMware (QLogic) driver v8.02.01-K1-VMW38) from the Qlogic website, as per the HP SIM Agent for ESX 4 README instructions...

The lack of visible HBA drivers in the SIM agent means hardware alerting wont work properly...
SmooshedFace76
Advisor

None of my ESX hosts show the HBA's in the SMH. I have over 50 hosts and I'm able to capture loop failures, etc. with the HBA.

If you have the ability to test the snmp traps, pull one of the fibre cables from the HBA and watch the IML to see if the trap is sent.

If it doesn't work then I would log a case with HP. It could be that something changed with ESX 4 and the latest insight agents.
John M Gibson

Indeed, the ESX 3.5 SIM config works well with my other 450 ESX hosts, its the new ESX 4 hosts im testing the build on there is a problem... I get my HP account team involved.
vpert

Hi John,
did you ever find a solution to this issue?

We see exactly the same behavior on 585.

thx for your respond

Did anyone get this to work? I'm running ESX4.0U1a with the latest HP SIM agent and with the latest libraries avaible from Qlogic, and still no FC in the HP SIM webpage..
Oertli

exactly the same here. ESX4Update1 with newest patches, HP Tools V8.30, newest qlogic api libraries v8.02.01-K1-VMW38. We can't see the hbas in hpsmh and no snmp for the hbas available. On ESX3.5 everything was ok.