108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM v5.2 doesn't detect existing SQL Server Expr 2005 SP2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

HP SIM v5.2 doesn't detect existing SQL Server Expr 2005 SP2

Today I wanted to upgrade from HPSIM v5.1 to HPSIM v5.2, however it seems that the setup doesn't detect any running SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 which is already in use by HP SIM 5.1/VirtualCenter/SCE2007.

I can only do a fresh install, when I do this option the installation fails and the Event Viewer is returning 'Upgrade is blocked - Edition check'.

I tried to upgrade HPSIM with the silent.xml file and set that it shouldn't install SQL Server Expr., however for some reason it still does start the manual installer and returns the same windows as a normal setup.

Any idea how I can make clear to HP SIM 5.2 that I have already a SQL 2005 Expr SP2?

Cheers,
Kevin
5 REPLIES 5
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

NOTE:
#1_If Microsoft SQL Server is installed on the CMS, an additional 500 MB of RAM should be installed.

#2_SQL Server 2005 Express Edition requires .NET 2.0 Framework installed.

#3_SQL Server 2005 Express Edition supports 500 systems and 5,000 events.

Is any of these are not respected you will have a problem.

Daniel

PS:Say thanks you with HP Points,there situated next to every message,next to date and time has UNASSIGNED,to apply the button is below .

Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Some more info:

SQL server is running on the default SQL Server port 1433.
SQL Browser is running so it should publish to applications that a SQL server is present.
When I check the version of SQL 2005 Expr SP2 in the Management Studio with that of the SQL Expr install which is included in HPSIM it shows the same version: 9.0.3042.

I don't think an uninstall of HPSIM 5.1 will help to solve this problem.

Does anyone know how HPSIM detects an existing sql server / instance?
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

I need to do some more installs next week on SQL 2005 Express 2005 SP2 from HPSIM5.1 to 5.2.

Would be great to find an answer on this one...
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Wonder by wonder, I uninstalled HPSIM v5.1 en installed HPSIM v5.2 without any problem.

So apparently HP SIM doesn't let you upgrade the HP SIM database when it's already on SQL Server 2005 Express (SP2).

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor
Solution

Honestly, I don't think we checked this particular situation (an existing install of SQL 2005 Express) around reusing an existing Express installation. Not sure we can tweak this in the shipping version, but we'll see.