1752579 Members
4593 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SSH error using cpqlocfg from SIM

David Liverpool
Occasional Advisor

SSH error using cpqlocfg from SIM

I'm trying to configure a few hundred iLOs v1.84 using the cpqlocfg utility from SIM v5 on Server 2003. However I'm getting an error when I try to execute:

"Ssh Operation failed for node:. SshAuthentication Failed."

Here's what I know and have done so far.
The Custom Command I've set up in SIM to use cpqlocfg has this set as the Command:
d:\ilo\cpqlocfg\cpqlocfg.exe
Where that's the path to the command on the machine I'm using when I connect to the SIM website on another machine.

In the Parameters field I've entered:
-s %n -l %f.txt -f cert_request.txt

From what I'm reading, I need to copy the SIM server's SSH key over to any iLO I try to communicate with using a Custom Command. Is that correct? I can do this by logging into the desktop of my server running SIM and executing at the CLI:
mxagentconfig -n - u -p

For the username and password in this command, I must use a username and password which can be used to log into the iLO, correct?

I opened the .dtfSshKey.pub file on my SIM server and inside I see:
ssh-dss

The username is the MS AD username of the admin which installed SIM on this server. Does this username in the key file have to match the username I use to log into the iLO or does it not matter?

If they must match, can I just change the username in the file to match, or do I have to regenerate a new key somehow?

Also, when I log into the SIM webpage, do I have to log in as that same username, or can it be any user configured with priviledges to execute the Custom Command?

And finally, when I execute the Custom Command, so far I'm just selecting one target iLO. But when the error displays for the Task Results, why is it saying the "operation failed for node:"? I guess I'm expecting it would say operation failed for node: and not list the name of the server running SIM.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've been reading doc after doc and hacking away at this for days.
3 REPLIES 3
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

Re: SSH error using cpqlocfg from SIM

Well when I have mass-configured ILOs in the past, I just do it from the command-line using a single batch file to lauch the "cpqlocfg.exe" commands with its associated arguments for each server. Using SIM to do this just seems like adding complexity unnecessarily IMO.

Example:

@echo off
cpqlocfg.exe -s host1 -l host1.txt -f UID_off.xml
cpqlocfg.exe -s host2 -l host2.txt -f UID_off.xml
cpqlocfg.exe -s host3 -l host3.txt -f UID_off.xml

etc, etc...

The ILO login username and password is located in the XML config file. The batch files, xml files, and cpqlocfg must all be in the same working directory.

I know that's not an elegant method, but it's fast and effective, esp for adding tons of adv pack license keys.
"Did you get that memo?"
Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor

hi

create a batch file with the follwing

C:\scripts\Cpqlocfg\cpqlocfg -s %DEVICENAME% -l C:\scripts\Cpqlocfg\logs\adduser\%DEVICENAME%log.txt -f C:\scripts\Cpqlocfg\add_user.xml

(above all in one line in the batch file)
changing the add_user.xml file to which xml file you want to use.

make sure in the xml file that you use the correct username and password for the ilo's.

create a custom command and point to the batch file.

the cpqlocfg files and the xml files should be on the SIM server.

either use a clean SIM 5 ( with no service pack) install or add SP5 to SIM5 and this should work. I had problems updating ilo's with other Service Packs.

Highlight all the ILO's in SIM and choose the custom command.( create a group that automatically find all the ILOs and this is easier.

I have just updated all the firmware on my ILO's using this method and it worked perfectly once SP5 was install.

i have not done anything with SSH and the ILO's.

steven

Larry Shaw
Frequent Advisor

I've had the same problem and found that I get this error if the User ID that I am using is not an Administrator on the SIM server. If I run the same job with a user ID that is an Administrator on the SIM server than I do not get the error and the job runs.