New Discussion

MSL2024 with two different drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alexij
Occasional Advisor

MSL2024 with two different drives

Hi! 

is it possible to install two drives with different LTO grade into the same MSL2024 library? We have an LTO5 archive and would like to upgrade the existing library with LTO8 drive because the new chassis is quite expensive and we do not need 24-cartridge loader. I know that if  we use LTO7 there will be no problem with reading LTO5 tapes but it's a shame to lose half the capacity

Does MSL have "enough brains" to supply LTO5 and LTO8 cartriges only to the corresponding drives and to use LTO5 drive as read-only?

3 REPLIES 3
Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSL2024 with two different drives

Hello,

yes, I have done this.
But you have to configure it in the Backup Software.
Generate an LTO-8 and an LTO-5 Tape Pool and order the Tapes to the Pools.
Then configure one Job to use LTO-5 Drive with LTO-5 Tape Pool and other using LTO-8 Tape and LTO-8 Tape Pool.

Alternatively, you can Partition "Split" the Library into two virtual Libraries, one with LTO-5 and one with LTO-8.  

Document - HP StorageWorks MSL 2024/4048/8048/8096 - Partitioning Guidelines | HPE Support

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please follow the  below HPE StoreEver MSL2024 Tape Libraries - Overview

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c01121474

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

alireza_babri
Established Member

and also you can configure your library in web manager as two logical libraries that your backup software detects two libraries