2503 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

best practices multiple catalyst stores

geradmin
Regular Visitor

best practices multiple catalyst stores

Hi,

i have a storeonce 3640 used as veeam's repo. So i have this doubt that all best practices documents they did not treat.

Using multiple catalyst stores brings advantages in terms of reliability and security? i know that use more store decreade deduplucation efficiency. So i don't know if create 2 store and spead backup jobs or use only one store for all.

thanks

Andrea

4 REPLIES 4
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: best practices multiple catalyst stores

Hello @geradmin,

Creating multiple catalyst stores is for grouping the catalyst copies based on different environments (Test, production etc), departments (sales, finance, R&D) or regions. If you don't have a strong requirement to group your catalyst copies in different catalyst stores, you have only one store.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

geradmin
Regular Visitor

hi,

thanks for reply, i have another question about store encryption (not data on flight encryption). On datasheet and user manual is not very clear but from what I understand the encryption is used in case of loss or theft of disks. If there were to be a cyber attack and the catlyst drivers were compromised the data could be stolen and in this case not encrypted, correct? like some kind of bitlocker (pass me the comparison).

cheers

Andrea

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @geradmin,

Yes. You are right. In case of cyber attack and the catalyst drivers were compromised, data can't be read from wrong devices/hosts.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

geradmin
Regular Visitor

hi, thanks for reply.

I don't know if I was clear in the question, if i encrypt the catalyst store and for some reason the someone can copy the veeam backup file (.vib and .vbk), these files  can be used/read outside of my storeonce? I'm not talking about a hard disks theft

cheers

Andrea