1753787 Members
7452 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Golden Image question

Penni Nussbaum
Frequent Advisor

Golden Image question

I would like to set up a server with a Golden Image. This would be used for all HP servers in my Company. Any new installs would have to be created using the Golden Image. This means on top of the core OS (and core patches) I would have a layer of optional Software (such a LVM, vxvm, glance, etc), that a server might need ( and is licensed for). There would also be cusomization layers for regions, buildings etc. This was already done here with Solaris Jumpstart. Has anyone done this with Ignite? If yes, could you give me some guidance such as "gotcha's"? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Re: Golden Image question

Eariler versions of ignite had lots of gotachas. Make sure you have the latest version of ignite.

HTH
Marty
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

NONE ... this works great. Create all your static files and after you lay down your golden image ... customize to taste.
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

We have 2 types of Golden machines, well maybe one is a silver machine. (Grin)

The silver machine is used for testing all patches and such. After they have passed all tests, then a new golden image tape is made and the golden machine is ignited.

All new machines and any that have had a disk die are ignited from the golden image box over the network.

After igniting, there is a manual configuration script run to name the machine and put on any special configs.

Only gotcha's, be sure and don't set any Mac's in the /etc/rc.config.d/hpetherconf files. This overrides the mac on the board.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
roadrunner_1
Regular Advisor

You can use that using ignite command where you can specify which volumegroups to include/file sytems to include or exclude. For more details look into the man pages of

make_net_recovery
make_recovery
make_sys_image

Or visit this link
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90767/B2355-90767.html
Rory R Hammond
Trusted Contributor

All my servers have a common address of 8/4.5
1. I Installed hupux 11i on an drive located at that address.
I make sure the drive is not mirrored.
2. I then Cloned the Drive to another drive that is the size and type.
"dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t5d0 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t8d0 bs=64k"
8/4.5 was c0t5d0
8/4.8 was c0t8d0.
3. I then shutdown the system switch drives and boot off the "clone" golden immage.
4. You then can customize the new drive and send it off. Or in the case of new development you can use the spare copy as a quick recovery tool by shutting down switching disks and rebooting.

Rory
There are a 100 ways to do things and 97 of them are right
Judy Traynor
Valued Contributor

make_sys_image is the command to make the golden image.

syntax -
/opt/ignite/data/scripts/make_sys_image -s ip_address_ignite_server -d /homexx/depot -l1

do a man on make_sys_image for details, but the short is that you need to be trusted to the ignite server. Log into the client with the golden image.
Run cleanup -i (clean ipd)
Run cleanup -c1 (commit patches)
Make sure you have space for the image (they range from 200 Mb to 800 Mb)

The -l switch is the level of cleanup the image has - look at the man page.

edit the file /var/opt/ignite/INDEX
create a new section for the file.
That should get you started.
Sail With the Wind