108862 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: prevent root login

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

prevent root login

I'd like to prevent root login, but only from particular locations - my dialup modem and telnets from internet.

securetty (man login) provides for a list of terms where root -can- login, but I'm looking more for an exclude list.

Thanks
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
4 REPLIES 4
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you create an empty /etc/securetty file, then you exclude direct root login even from hte console.
You can then login as your own uid, and do su - to get root priveleges.
If you want to ensure the console has root access, then have the only entry as console.

This excludes every other method.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Dennis Trice
Occasional Contributor

Create a /etc/securetty file and enter in which devices you want to lock out
Unix for life
William Dy

Look into /var/adm/inetd.sec. This will allow you to limit access to certain IP range. I think this will fix your internet telnet problem.

Additional, to exclude the root on the dialup modem, I would suggest you add in the /etc/profile script to terminate the telnet session if it is coming from a certain tty port. Make sure that you have the trap statement as your very first command line in the /etc/profile to trap for the break signal.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

One problem I discovered with using /etc/profile ... I added a test to see if the user was root, and if the tty was the modem, then to logout the user if that was the case. Problem there is, if a normal user logs in on the modem tty, then su's to root (su -) the user gets logged out. Not what I wanted.

Using /etc/securetty with one line (console) turned out to be the best solution. The admins here never log in as root directly anyway - we always su from our normal accounts.

My main concern was disallowing root logins via internet telnet and the modem, and that certainly solved it.
fmartin@applicatorssales.com