1755888 Members
4025 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion

1920S 48G JL386A LACP & STP Best Practice

CraigZA
Occasional Contributor

1920S 48G JL386A LACP & STP Best Practice

Apologies for the somewhat lengthly post... customer did not want to spend the $$$ on 10G backbone so trying to make do with aggregating & load balancing across 1G links.

Have the following warehouse environment:

5x HP 1920S 48G PoE JL386A (new)
1x Cisco 2960S 24G PoE (existing)

32x Hikvision 5MP IP Cameras (new)
16x Jovision IP Cameras (existing)
1x Milestone NVR server (new)

+/- 50x Workstations (existing)
+/- 50x Avaya IP Phones (existing)
1x Avaya IP Office 500 PABX (existing)

A few Windows & Linux servers (existing)
Handful of wireless access points, printers, time & attendance devices, projector, etc, etc (existing)
Single NAS storage device (existing)

Will be running 5 VLAN's - Management/Data/Voice/Video/Guest

HP switches are connected in the lab presently, three via 4x1GB Ethernet trunks, the other two HP switches via 2x1GB Fibre trunks due to distance (see below network diagram image link). Management VLAN is untagged pvid on the LAG's with all other VLAN's tagged. Have not connected the Cisco switch yet - plan to connect via 2x1GB Fibre again due to distance.

https://image.ibb.co/fE8Rid/hp_cisco_lacp.jpg

Current LAG's are dynamic LACP, have the Auto Voice VLAN running & QoS configured on the switches, LLDP working, every test peripheral connected gets into the right VLAN & IP, test calls are clear, etc - very happy. Have not pushed a large amount of traffic over the network as yet though.

Now, my questions as follows:

1 - in connecting the Cisco LAG to the HP & HP to HP, what hashing algorithm is recommended? I have used the default Source/Destination MAC, VLAN, EtherType, Incoming Port on all the HP switches so far. Given the amount of traffic I'm looking to balance the overall load as best as possible, both the feeds going from cameras to NVR and data from server(s) to workstations.

2 - any tips on setting up STP? End users will only have physical access to ports under their desks or next to printers, ideally am wanting STP to kick in and disable a port if a user creates a loop and then recover the port to operational staus after X amount of time. This would be the first time I'm setting up STP and in-between HP & Cisco.

Thanks for looking
Craig

1 REPLY 1
CraigZA
Occasional Contributor

Re: 1920S 48G JL386A LACP & STP Best Practice

Right, question 1 answered very kindly by a Juniper expert, his recommendation was src & dst IP & port given the fair amount of IP traffic.

Busy teading up more on STP for question 2.

May I introduce question 3?  In dealing with QoS on these units, does one configure queues and trust statements on the ports that make up the trunk or the trunk itself or both?

C.