Announcements
1748196 Members
2727 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards Migrating to HP Support Forums

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards Migrated to HP Support Forums

Hello Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community! With the division of Hewlett-Packard Company into HP Inc. and Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all HP Inc. product support is now provided by HP Support Forums at www.hp.com/supportforum.

All boards within the former Printing and Digital Imaging, Desktops and Workstations, and Mobile categories are now located at www.hp.com/supportforum.

This community is focused on enterprise solutions, hardware, software and services going forward, and no longer can provide support for printing, pc, and mobile products.

Redirects should still be working for up to one year from the original migration date.

If you don’t have an account on the HP Support Forums, you can create one on the HP Support Forums.

Thanks, 

The Administrators

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

50 REPLIES 50
DavidZuts
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Printing, Personal Computing and Mobile Boards Migrating to HP Support Forums

What goes on here?  I just found out about the move, logged into the new forum and have lost all my settings to include, Avatar, kudos, etc.  Can you not migrate all the users information from the Enterprise site to this site?  Really hurts to be a founder on the original site and now I find myself to be a "Honor Student"   Thanks a lot.

Skylarking
Trusted Contributor

I agree with DavidZuts.

In my case I've gone from Trusted Contributer to Top Student so it doesn't hurt as much but it's still a slap in the face.

But why the need for change? Someone needing to meet some KPI?

Chris H
Honored Contributor

I also agree with David Zuts - I think that there will be a lot of disgruntled (to put it mildly) volunteers on these forums.

... and HP relies on these volunteers to help them answer lots of questions for which they'd otherwise have to employ rather more support staff to work on.

Surely not a good idea to give such volunteers good reasons to consider not bothering to help any more?

Chris H
Honored Contributor

@Warren_Admin

>> ... Posts from the recent past will be migrated over ...

Just what does this mean?

There is a wealth of useful information in posts which are not "from the recent past" as I understand the term - are you suggesting that we'll lose access to all such useful data?

For example: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/Logical-Page-vs-Printable-Area/m-p/741622

DavidZuts
Outstanding Contributor

The more I think about what HP has just done, the more disappointed I am with their action.  First off the Enterprise Printing and Digital Imaging Forum was a consolidation of 2 forums that used to be part of the Business Support Forums.  There is a major problem with now consolidating the Enterprise Forum and the Consumer Forum since you are now mixing questions from IT professionals and experienced users with first time printer users who have 1 printer and ask questions whose answers are in their manuals.  Business users expect to get expert advice when they post questions and will be very disappointed when these first time users clutter their posts with information that has nothing to do with what they are asking or answers that are just way out of line.  I really think HP needs to rethink what you are doing and return the forum to the Enterprise area.

Chris H
Honored Contributor

David

I certainly agree with your point about "... mixing questions from IT professionals and experienced users with first time printer users ...".

My area of expertise is with PCL5 and PCL XL Page Description Languages (primarily on LaserJet devices (except the cheap ones), and now on the later "Pro" OfficeJet models too.

LaserJets are now apparently part of the "Printing Issues & Troubleshooting"  boards on the merged forums - so that will contain a totally mixed bag (of worms).

They should have set up a a separate board (preferably restricted to commercial models, no the cheapo host-based consumer ones). 

But I can't see HP reversing the process of moving any of the printer boards back to the Enterprise forums, since the Enterprise and non-Enterprise split mirrors how HP (the company) has split into two - Enterprise = Services, non-Enterprise = (hardware) products.

...and as regards the migration of users - I think that you (and others) appear to have been very poorly treated - not exactly what HP should be doing to encourage participation!

I'm a bit more "fortunate" in that I already have an alter-ego DansDadUK on the Consumer forums - and (because I used the same log-in 'email address' for both identities), these two identities are supposed to have merged somehow - although, so far, I see no signs of that having happened!

All-in-all, a rather poorly planned and executed move, which appears to have taken place with little (if any) input from long-term users.

Chris

Steve Begley
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I also agree with David and Chris's comments - the forum should stay in ONE place and the above mentioned forums should be moved back to Enterprise.

Whilst I realise that HP has now split - information should still  be easily available.

I would be grateful of any comments or a rectification by HP...

regards,

Steve.B.

Tea break over - back on yer heads!
John Getzke
Honored Contributor

Where can we find more information on the ranking system for the new community? 

I currently am a honor contributor in this community and will be a honor student in the next. What does that mean and how do I move up?  What is the scale to the side of my avatar?  I can see that about half of my kudos have been migrated over, I assume that is because the remainder are too old and didnt make the cutoff date.

HP has wiped out forum status before.  It happens, I get it and I'm sure it will happen again.  But what was a really nice nod from HP was the "founder" flair that they attatched to the legacy support members/volunteers in the current enterprise community.  If you could hook us up with something like that in the new community it would be greatly appreciated.  Is the "Classic" greybox/flair the equivalent of "Founder" in the new community?  If so a simple rebranding of the flair would do us wonders.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
John Getzke
Honored Contributor

How about something like this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-HP-Expert-Program/How-do-I-become-an-HP-Expert/ba-p/2837825

The expert program in the new community appears to be something I'd be interested in.  How can we get a fast track enrollment into this program based on our contributions to the enterprise community?

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)