108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Getting warning emails from Nimble saying "Failed to send alert e-mail"

SOLVED
Go to solution
adbp
Occasional Visitor

Getting warning emails from Nimble saying "Failed to send alert e-mail"

We regularly get emails from one of our Nimble devices saying that it was unable to send an email. As we receive this alert as an email, along with other alerts from the box, I think this proves that the SMTP server configuration is correct. 

Here is a sample alert:

Time: Wed Dec  5 01:14:00 2018

Type: 2109

ID: 150208

Message: Failed to send alert e-mail to SMTP server. Verify SMTP server and port configuration.

Group Name: <removed>

Group ID: <removed>

Version: 5.0.4.0-576551-opt

How can we stop these alerts?

4 REPLIES 4
dineshkumar_s
HPE Pro

Hello,

Kindly Open a Service request with the Nimbel Technical Support Team to troubleshoot,

U.S. and Canada 

1-877-364-6253

Thanks 

Dinesh Kumar 

Accept or Kudo
PotatoChip
Occasional Visitor

I'm also having this issue, and getting an alert in my email claiming that my SMTP isn't working.  It would be nice to find out what this is about without having to open a ticket, since that's really what these forums are for, right?  

Did you find a solution or an explanation for this behavior?  I have a feeling that it may be due to the SMTP we have configured not allowing any external sending.  We have no external senders defined, but HP may be trying to send itself something.  

adbp
Occasional Visitor
Solution

I logged a ticket and found out that it is a known issue that will be resolved in a later NimOS release due out around March 2019. So you're stuck with getting the emails until at least then.

bug AS-40238/AS-76808/AS-76820

PotatoChip
Occasional Visitor

Good to know it can be safely ignored.   I would be interesed to know how this even happens.  What good would it ever do to have an alert that says "Can't send to SMTP" being sent through an SMTP server to alert.  Either it doesn't work and you get no alert, or it does work and the error is clearly invalid.