5130 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Slow unzip performance, CS700

SOLVED
Go to solution
ssaunders69

Slow unzip performance, CS700

Has anyone seen issues with unzipping files on VM's (ESXi 5.5 w/ win 2008R2)?  We use NANT to deploy code to all of our servers and it take forever to unzip the files. 

Network is fast, we can move large files without an issue. 

We do not see the same issue on our other SAN (VNX)

Not sure if this is an OS issue or storage.  New VM's that are on the Nimble have same or more CPU/RAM as the ones on the VNX.

Just curious what others have seen.

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
aherbert23
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Slow unzip performance, CS700

Here are a few ideas:

- Is there a virus scanner running that could be scanning the files as they unzip?

- Is disk indexing enabled on the Windows host?

Both of these could cause performance issues when dealing with a lot of little files being created when unzipping.

If these aren't your solution, I would suggest contacting Nimble support. They could help troubleshoot and see if your performance problem is with the storage.

ssaunders69

Yeah, sorry I should have said the sys-admin found windows defender running and we killed it.  but that only shaved 100 seconds off the total time.  Old system does this in about 360 seconds while the new is still over 1000 seconds.  I will have them check indexing and see if it is on.  

thanks for the reply. 

aherbert23
Trusted Contributor

Another thing you can tune (and may have been done on the previous system) is to disable 8.3 file naming. This can be a big overhead if there is a large number of files or directories. How to disable 8.3 file name creation on NTFS partitions

ssaunders69

Not sure who Kat Usavage is but none of the tips Adam gave me helped (sorry Adam).  We are still investigating it.  Highly doubt it is a Nimble issue though, as we can unzip a file in Linux in under 5 seconds.

aherbert23
Trusted Contributor

No offense taken Shawn! :-) I hope you do find your issue. Have you tried using an unzip tool outside of NANT to see if it suffers from the same performance problem on the Windows hosts?

ssaunders69

cool Adam!   They tested the built in zip program only.  Not sure about any other third party products.  Something is different as the same file unzips much faster on our older hardware (server/SAN) using the same program.  Think they will have to scan through the GPO settings and see if there is something off.   thanks again!