Array Setup and Networking
1748140 Members
4091 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Best way to move last big vms from old storage.

SOLVED
Go to solution
J Benway
Advisor

Best way to move last big vms from old storage.

I've moved most of my vms from the old EMC to nimble. The ones that are left are my larger and higher IO vms. I worry about doing live storage vmotions with them. Any recommendations/feedback?

the EMC is running 10GB FCOE and the nimble is 10GB iSCSI on the same 10GB CNA cards. Some of these vms are a few hundred gigs and run DBs

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
pmalagese82

Re: Best way to move last big vms from old storage.

I too just recently migrated from EMC to a CS300.  My last 2 VMs were pretty big too.  A 500GB fileserver and 1TB DB server.  I did this all on a 1gigabit line and had no issues.  Of course I did migrate these last 2 on the weekend at night.

J Benway
Advisor

Did you power them down or do a live storage migration?

Thanks!

pmalagese82

I had to power down the 500Gb file server because it was misaligned and had to use vcenter converter.   The 1TB DB server was a live storage migration. 

Not applicable

I would suggest power down if at all possible.  I have a 5TB server that needs to be moved and I am making them take it off line.  Couldn't imagine how long it would take to do a live migration. 

rlovett51
Occasional Advisor
Solution

We had to migrate a bunch of VM's from one UCS/Nimble environment to another and we used Zerto's "Move" migration feature with absolutely no issues. The largest was a 27TB MS SQL Server and the only downtime was a reboot. Too easy!

-Ray