Array Setup and Networking
1748197 Members
2591 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Total Connections Seem lower than they have been previously when adding new volume with NCM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Not applicable

Total Connections Seem lower than they have been previously when adding new volume with NCM

I have a physical box that is directly connected to the iSCSI network.  It has 2 iSCSI NICs.  My Nimble has 5 iSCSI +1 Management.

Inside NCM when I connect a new volume, it only connects 8.  It seems like there is one on the array side that isn't happy, but I don't have any alerts or other indications to a problem.

My VMware hosts connect and show 10 connections (Each ESXi host has 2 iSCSI connections back to the iSCSI network)

I have another physical box that has 4 iSCSI NICs.  The volumes that have been connected for a long time show 20 connections, but the newest one I just added shows 10.

Switch gear is 2 Dell 6024 (not stacked).  4 port port-channel between the 2.  All interfaces in the port-channel are up on both switches so I don't suspect issues there.

Where can I investigate this further?  Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
rugby0134
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Total Connections Seem lower than they have been previously when adding new volume with NCM

Connections can be added and removed by NCM based on latency and workload. If you want a static number of connections to can edit the /etc/ncm/ncm.conf file and set the min and max connections.

Not applicable

Re: Total Connections Seem lower than they have been previously when adding new volume with NCM

I'm referring to the NCM on the physical Windows box, not on VMware.  The VMware connection count seems fine.

rugby0134
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

If your using Nimble connection manager, you can modify the following value for number of connection in Connection Manager:

HKLM\Software\Nimble Storage\Connections

Default is 2, I'd suggest moving that value up slowly as you'll be connecting via the VTIPs on the array with Connection Manager rather then directly to the data IP's. So upping it to 4 should give you one on each connector.

Not applicable

Bingo.  That was it, max was set to 8.  Thanks, Kevin!