1754822 Members
4105 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSTP with 2810 and 2848 switches

David_123_1

MSTP with 2810 and 2848 switches

Hello

I have a problem with my MSTP setup. In the setup there are mostly 2848 switches and some 2810-48G switches. The problem I have is with the vlans that are associated with the MSTP instance.
On the 2848 series I have defined a range of vlans that should be in an instance.
On the 2810 series I did the same thing however the 2810 only includes the vlans that I have defined in the switch.

For example on the 2848 and the 2810 I have vlan 11,14,17.
On the 2848 I enter a range of vlans from 10-20 that should be in the mstp instance and that works fine.
On the 2810 when I do the same thing the switch sorts out that I have only got vlan 11,14 and 17 defined to in the MSTP instance I only get vlans 11,14,17.

This is a problem I think because I end up with
different MST Configuration Digests and I'd like the digests to be the same.

I have tried upgrading both software images to the latest versions but it's still the same and it's annoying me.

Is there something else that can be done? or will this be fixed in any new release? of the software so the 2848 and 2810 will treat the vlan ranges the same way?

Thank you
David

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Hi David,

What is your network topology? are you using MSTP to take advantage of redundant links that are Idle?

Trev.
David_123_1

Hello

To answer the question in short no, not for the moment but we are planning on doing this in teh near furture so we'd like this to work.
As far as I understand it if teh Message Digest are not the same on the switches then they are not talking MSTP with eachother.

Regards
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Have you created an MSTP configuartion name?

spanning-tree config-name ""

I have only ever used MSTP to utilise redundant links to split of my vlans which are typically blocked.

you have to have every VLAN in your network configured on each switch that you want to particiapte in the MSTP config.

If I have misunderstood you, sorry.

Trev.

David_123_1

Hello

Thank you for your quick response.
Yes I have created config name and set the config revision.
All VLANS exists on every switch.

Regards.
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

David_123_1

Hello that thread was kind of like what I was looking for, didn't find it before. So my question is will the 2810 ever let me add vlans to my MSTP configuration even though they still son't exsist in the switch?

Is this something that HP plans to support in a future release?
Do anyone know?