1748151 Members
3881 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: data protector express server on windows sbs 2008 and windows 7 client

Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

data protector express server on windows sbs 2008 and windows 7 client

Data protector express V4.0 SP1 installed on Windows SBS 2008 with variety of XP and Vista systems.  Working fine.

Added Windows 7 client.  Installed software on W7 client but got errors, (50 and 2). Could not run diagnostics between server and W7 client.  

Installed new version (Build 56906) on server and Windows 7 system.  Validated that connectivity existed (error 50 went away) and validated that "diagnostics" worked between server and W7 client.

After deleting and reloading the license key (upgrade did not accept license as loaded) was able to run scheduled procedure for backups.

When DPE attempted to access and perform backup on W7 client got error 2, end of data - still.

Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
8 REPLIES 8
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Data Protector Express 4.0 does not support Win 7 or 2008 R2 you will need to upgrade to 5.0 if you have an active support contract you can get a free upgrade.

4.0 Compatibility Matrix

Pablo Alv Siles
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Well, actually, it does support Windows 7 and SBS 2008.

The issue is that there is a problem with Version 4.01 where if there is an unnamed partition on the disk it fails.  Naming the partition make it work fine on Windows 7.

The compatibility matrix was printed before Windows 7 was released so it does not reference W7.

It does show SBS 2008 as a supported backup server.

I am in the process of upgrading to DPE 5.0... Now that is an entirely different problem.  I am still trying to get the license - a task which is now approaching 2 months and still not completed.  The latest problem in the saga is a failure of the webware site to accept my HP Passport credentials!  And of course it is not "their" problem.

Bill Pedersen
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Users with an active

support contract

Contact your local contract administration with your SAID number “contract # “ . If you do not know who is your Contract Administration please call this # 800-386-1115  Option 0 and wait until a representative answer the phone.

You can also visit this site to find out.

http://esca3.europe.hp.com/

This person could be internal to HP or an authorized reseller from HP.

Required Information from HP Sales Rep or Customer

It is Sales’/Customer’s/Partner’s responsibility to provide all of this information to Contract Admin.

             Customer name

             Contract number, SAID, or LLFL of DPX contract

             Migration effective date

This opportunity will be available until 26 September 2011, after that time

migration to Data Protector Express 5.0 product will require product

purchase. Please note it may take up to 15 working days from request to

receipt of the media kits for your upgrade to Data Protector Express 5.0.

To request the upgrade, contact HP Services using the contact details on

your support contract. This will initiate the process to get Data Protector

Express 5.0 and transfer the balance of your support contract to you Data

Protector Express 5.0 licenses

Users without an active

support contract

The migration to Data Protector Express 5.0 product will require product purchase from the end user for all indented servers to be used  for more details on pricing on the different packages please visit http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?jumpid=re_NSS_datapexpsoftware&ProductLineId=450&FamilyId=2249

Regards.

Pablo Alv Siles
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

I wish it were that simple.  I do have media in hand with license access information... That took over 45 days to solve.  For some reason there was not a "local contract administration" for me - I had purchased the software electronically through a reseller and it seems that various links were "broken" in the process.

Now I can not access the license generation site - and the folks at Webware are not very responsive on that problem.  I have reported the issue to the HP Passport folks but today, but nothing there yet other than an automated response.

Not the most timely nor stellar bit of customer support.

Bill Pedersen
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

You mean you already have the registration numbers but you cannot generate the licenses online? If that is the case you can cal License Key delivery Center:

Hewlett-Packard License Center for U.S.A:
Phone: (801) 431-1597 or (800) 326-0411
Fax: (801) 431-3654
Hours of operation: 6:00 am to 6:00 pm MST
Americas_password@cnd.hp.com

Pablo Alv Siles
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Yes, I could...  I would like tosolve this other problem, too. Not being able to access the license system in general needs to be resolved.  It took over 45 days to get the offical distribution so and I need to schedule it anyway...

It is not something I will be doing tomorrow...

If I do not get the login resolved in the next few days I will call but it seems a bit strange that HP Passport will work everyplace else but with the Webware site.

Bill Pedersen
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

www.itrc.com has a different login than this forum for example have you tried creating a new user?

Pablo Alv Siles
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Webware uses HP Passport, not the ITRC login.

I have logins for both.

Both work fine, except when I try to access webware.

That said I have no plans of diagnosing HP's problem anymore than I have already I have enough other things to worry about in my own work.

Bill Pedersen