BackOffice Products
1758560 Members
1670 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion

Installing NT4 server - HP server misreporting drive size

Jonathan Kimpson

Installing NT4 server - HP server misreporting drive size

I have an LH+ with 6x 2gb drives internally, and 6x 4gb drives in an external storage system 6.
I have run through the navigator cd which was shipped with the server and configured each array (each one is configured as RAID 5 so their effective capacities are 10 and 20 gb)
I have initialised each array.

When I come to install NT (i have to use the 3x floppies and cd as the Navigator is for NT 3.51) i run into problems.
I have to load specific controller drivers which i have downloaded from the HP site. There is a Mylex which runs the RAID array, and an adaptec to run the scsi cd rom and internal DAT drive.
When NT wants to specify where to install the OS, the two arrays are listed- Adapter1 channel 0 and channel 1. The channel 0 is only listed as 1024 mb when it has been initialised as 10165 mb. Any ideas why this is?
I need to create a c: partition of at least 2gb.
Thanks in advance
1 REPLY 1
Michael Harmer
Occasional Advisor

Re: Installing NT4 server - HP server misreporting drive size

The problem is Windows NT4. If my guess is correct your trying to install to a 'new' array. By new I mean that you have initialized the array.

The problem is that NT4 has to install in a FAT partition then update the fat partition to NTFS. Unfortunatly DOS(FAT) only allows 2GB.

There are a couple of way arround this problem.
1. Use a third part product to increase your partition size. Partition Magic is such a product though this should not be considered an endorsement, only an example.
2. The other way is to install NT4 to a 2GB drive and once it is installed create and format your 10GB drive. Then destroy your 2GB install and Install NT4 to the EXISTING 10GB drive.(Do not reformat)

For more info check out http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q119/4/97.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=boot%20partition&rnk=18&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=NTS40