108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SBS 4.5 denies FTP connection to client PC

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

SBS 4.5 denies FTP connection to client PC

I am trying to run an ftp script to transfer a weekly file from my HP UX L1000 to the company shared folder on my SBS. The script failed (I used to use it on my Novell server all the time).

I then ran the command manually on the UNIX server and received the following message:

root:L1000>:ftp
ftp> open 192.100.100.5
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp> open server1
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>

I went into the IIS console and added a protocol for ftp inbound; port 21, tcp, but it still is refusing the connection. Any ideas?

Richard

rdarling@southwickclothing.com
8 REPLIES 8
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Re: SBS 4.5 denies FTP connection to client PC

Hi Richard,

Nice to see you! You must be really busy out there because I haven't seen a post in a while. That or things are running smoothly!

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but did you install ftp on the SBS server? It wasn't clear from your post. It is not installed by default with SBS 4.5. If you didn't install it, here are the instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/1/46.ASP

Make sure you install ftp from the SBS media and not the NT Option Pack media or you will have other problems.

Are you trying to setup FTP and Proxy on the same machine? I'm thinking yes so here are the steps to follow if that's the case:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q210/4/59.ASP

I hope that helps Richard. If neither of those articles works out, can you post another message and tell us what type of authentication you are using on the ftp server (all three, anonymous only, etc). I doubt it is authentication since you aren't making it far enough to supply any credentials but I am curious.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Chip Woods
Occasional Advisor

To install the FTP service:

1. Run the following command from the Ntoptpak\En\X86\Winnt.srv folder on SBS
4.5 CD-ROM 2:

sysocmgr /I:iisv4.inf /s:\ntoptpak\en\x86\winnt.srv

2. When you receive a warning about SMTP, click OK.

3. Click Next in the Windows NT Option Pack Setup screen.

4. Click Add/Remove.

5. Click Internet Information Server, and then click Show Subcomponents.

6. Click File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Server, and then click OK.

7. Click Next.

8. Accept the default installation folder, and then click Next.

9. Click Finish.

10. Reapply your current NT Service Pack and restart the server.

The ability to serve files (that is, to transfer files from or to the server from
a client) is not enabled.

The only functionality that exists by default is the ability to transfer files to
and from another server through the FTP client on the Small Business Server.

NOTE: It is recommended that you install Proxy 2.0 Service Pack 1 after
installing the FTP server component on your SBS box. Proxy 2.0 Service Pack 1
can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/proxy/Support/proxyupdate.asp

By default, the FTP server requires a domain user name and password to access the
FTP server. To allow users to log in to the FTP server, they must have the user
right "Log on locally".

To allow anonymous access, follow these steps:

1. Open the Internet Services Manager snap-in.

2. Right-click the Default FTP site, and then click Properties.

3. On the Service Accounts tab, select the "Only allow anonymous connections"
option, and then click OK.

4. Stop and restart the Default FTP site.

For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in
the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q210459 How to Set Up FTP Server on Same Server as Proxy Server

Additional query words: kbDSupport SBS smallbiz
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Jamie, thanks for the info. I will post my results...things are going pretty smooth. This week we start converting our Gross-to-Net payroll system (Infinium) from Btrieve 7.0 (Novell) to SQL 7 on the SBS...should be interesting.

Chip, thanks for the answer...but it is the same article that Jamie gave me the links to...

Richard
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Jamie, works like a charm. One question...why do I need to reinstall the current service pack (6a)? I don't have a copy and it looks like a long download...thanks...
Richard
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Jamie, One thing I just noticed. Users w/out administrative rights are being denied ftp rights...shouldn't any user have the right to ftp, but only to directories that they have rights to?
Richard
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

additional information:
I get an ftp connection into a root (/) directory, which contains no data, and then I am not allowed to change directories to a user folder, or the company folder. The docs on ftp that I looked at are allowing internet ftp connection to non-users.

Our users are clients on the SBS server, as well as on our UNIX server. They create ascii files on the UNIX server and transfer them to the PC network. These files are used as input for finish payroll apps.

The goal is to allow the clients to ftp the files from the UNIX server to a shared folder on the sbs. This would then allow any client with rights to run the PC app from any PC by accessing the file in the shared folder.

All the MS docs I have seen are to allow internet access.

root:L1000>:ftp
ftp> open server1
Connected to server1.
220 server1 Microsoft FTP Service (Version 4.0).
Name (server1:root): rdarling
331 Password required for rdarling.
Password:
230 User rdarling logged in.
Remote system type is Windows_NT.
ftp> pwd
257 "/" is current directory.
ftp> cd e:\company
550 e:company: The system cannot find the file specified.
ftp> cd \\server1\company
550 /server1company: The system cannot find the file specified.

RD
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Richard,

You just need to reapply the latest service pack that you are running. I'm not sure if that is 6a or not. You need to reapply whatever SP you were running because there are fixes to the ftp service in the SPs that will be overwritten by the "fresh" install of ftp. The SP will update the necessary files.

I will answer your other post later today because I have to run into a few meetings. Without going into a lot of detail, I know that you have to use the ! character when ftp'ing to differentiate between the local and remote machines. Try adding the ! character in front of your commands to cd to the drives on the remote server. I think it's just the format of the commands you are trying to use but I will try to post more later today.

Best regards,
Jamie
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Jamie...reapplied SP6a...all set

Richard