BackOffice Products
1758327 Members
2253 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying to Playback a Downloaded Movie...

SOLVED
Go to solution
FRANKIE_5
Advisor

Trying to Playback a Downloaded Movie...

I just downloaded a film off Kazaa & when I try to play it back (In Windows Media Player) it says "Cant play because May be formatted with an unsupported Codec or Internet Security is too high." I tried Lower the Security to "LOW" but I got the same message again. The film I am trying to play is 185,650 KB and is in "Video Clip" format. Anyone know how I can View this? Im on Windows XP with a Pentium 4 with 1.60 GHZ and 768 MB of RAM.
Thanks!!!
32 REPLIES 32
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Trying to Playback a Downloaded Movie...

Frankie, you haven't the codec right (decompression) then it not works.
You must download the codec by internet for your version of Media Player (or download Media Player newer).
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

This is link for download (choose that right)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx
Bye
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
FRANKIE_5
Advisor

Hey Bruno,
Thanks for the response & link. I downloaded & installed the Codecs for Windows Media player 9 but Im STILL getting the same message.By the way, I found out this is an AVI file. Any other suggestions?
Frankie
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

In windows media player verify settings for AVI format, you must enable.
Open media player, click display, options, format. Remarks little box in video-file (or click on key "all select"), after confirm and save clicking on key "OK".
Try.
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
FRANKIE_5
Advisor

Bruno,
AVI IS checked. Also, I tried to open the AVI in REAL PLAYER and it told me "DX50 Decompressor not found". Not to confuse you; Id rather continue trying to open through Windows media player 9. Just thought that info might help out.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks Bruno.
Frankie
FRANKIE_5
Advisor

Hey Bruno...
Not sure if this helps any but the files complete name is scary movie.(full length) teg scr.AVI. Not sure what or IF that "teg scr" means anything.
Frankie
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Frankie,

my guess would be, that the avi file is divx coded. Look ontot the web site www.divx.com
They have a good support.

Michael
FRANKIE_5
Advisor

Hey Michael,
I Downloaded the DivX Pro 5.1.1 and although the Windows Media player is indeed now playing the AVI, there is only a black screen as it plays. Might there be something ELSE wrong or did I just download a "Nothing" AVI?
Frankie
Ernesto Cappello
Trusted Contributor

This utility says if the codec is installed or not!
In "Codec" section in "Video Format". If the "Status" says "not installed", you
will probably have to obtain the codec shown. The same goes for the "Audio Format"
section - if the appropriate "audio codec" is not installed, you may get no sound.

Download the codec in internet site www.divx.com or by www.google.com.

Regards, Ernesto.