8902 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL460 and AiO question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin Quealy

BL460 and AiO question

I'm working up a proposal to move my company to blades, either the c3000 or more likely the c7000.

1. Is anyone using a BL460 blade without internal hard drives? Will a storage blade (SB40c) or external SAN provide quick enough response to not have the OS on the actual server blade? We'll be running a Citrix server, RBase server, and Exchange along with a dc, file & print, etc.

2. The AiO storage devices seem like glorified NAS's capable of only holding files and not running applications. Am I right?
3 REPLIES 3
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: BL460 and AiO question

The SB40c is a Smartarray P400 with 6 disks and it's connected directly to the BL460c motherboard. It will appear as internal storage to the blade.
Booting from a SAN device is often done with blades, FC connections are currently 4 Gbps, so it's as fast as internal SCSI.
AiO servers can serve disks through iSCSI, and the blade can boot from there, but it's slower than fiber, of course.
Also, often servers have a local hard disk for the swap file, having that on a remote device can generate a lot of non-essential traffic.
Kevin Quealy

Thanks for the reply. Good information there. I have a couple of other questions, though.

1. Does a SAN have the ability and/or software to slice it up for different servers? (We would have several instances of Windows 2003 ... one of each server blade.) Or would we need a 3rd party software such as VM Ware?

2. Does the SAN show as one big drive to all blade servers attached to it?
EPaul Richards

Hi Kevin, to answer your follow-up questions:

1. Does a SAN have the ability and/or software to slice it up for different servers? -- Yes, it does.

(We would have several instances of Windows 2003 ... one of each server blade.) Or would we need a 3rd party software such as VM Ware? -- You can just install ESX on each blade, then run your Windows 2003 instances on them. You gain a lot of flexibility since you can Vmotion the Windows VMs around for maintenance and such. Not to mention you can maximize your resources/equipment by using VMware.

2. Does the SAN show as one big drive to all blade servers attached to it? -- That's not typically a best practice unless you are working with clusters. In most cases, you would create and assign a LUN (or group of LUNs) to a server. You can assign those LUNs to multiple hosts (such as a W2K3 cluster and even ESX servers in a farm.)
Best bet is to speak with your storage vendor on this and they will be able to assist you further.