1752821 Members
5024 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460C G1 disk upgrade

Dave Arkfeld
Advisor

BL460C G1 disk upgrade

Disk are set up as RAID 1+0. 2 drives are 72gb each, I want to upgrade both to 146gb. What are the steps to do an online upgrade?
Dave Arkfeld
7 REPLIES 7
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Pull one 72GB out and replace with a 146GB.
Check the ACU and wait till the RAID has recovered.
Do the same again on the 2nd 72GB drive.
You now have a 72GB partion (or more than one - depending on how it was configured before) and 72GB of unpartitioned space.
How you use that extra 72GB is dependant on the OS and any partitioning utility you are using.
Dave Arkfeld
Advisor

I swapped out the one in slot 2 1st, three hours later I swapped the one out in slot1, blade went down., I then put the 72gb one back in and system started up okay. After I shutdown the Blade and then replaced drive in slot 1, I now have both of them at 146gb. But it is not using the full amount of space, see attachment. Is this because I do not have a battery pack for the 64mb cache?
Dave Arkfeld
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

It's because the partition size doesn't increase just because the physical disks are larger.

You'll need to 'expand' the partition somehow.
We can't tell you how to do that, or even if it's possible or not, without knowing which OS you're using.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

your os is Linux, and you oculd send the disk layout, are you using LVM or nodmal partions ??

and also the file system type is important.

mikap
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

second think you could use the :

http://www.mondorescue.org/

or some comercial sotweare for disk cloning and migration.

mikap
Dave Arkfeld
Advisor

I found this out: This bit from the show statement indicates why
Battery Pack Count: 0

Online Capacity Expansion on the E200 controller requires the Battery-Backed Write Cache option to be installed.
So you would need to get the "128MB Battery-Backed Write Cache" kit installed. As far as I am aware there is not an option to add a battery module to the included 64MB cache module.
Dave Arkfeld
Michal N.
Advisor

Dave you are correct, additional cache module is needed to attach battery to the controller.