5220 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c server unable to boot-up

Junji
Advisor

BL460c server unable to boot-up

Hi All,

I have one BL460c server that were unable to boot-up even after manually pushing the power button on. The OA displays the status as 'Critical Error' and all information as 'Unknown'. This was happened after I upgraded the blade firmware. All other blade was successfully upgraded except for this one. Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Jun S.
9 REPLIES 9
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Try removing and reinserting the blade. Does the firmware comply with the compatibility matrix? http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-compmatrix.html

Chen the available power in the OA, and make sure it thinks the enclosure has enough power to turn the blade on.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Junji
Advisor

I already try that but nothing happens. In OA Insight Display, it says the ff.:

"Mgmt Processor Failed in Svr Bay 7
A ILO 2 Failure has been detected. Make sure you have a suitable ILO2 firmware loaded (must be at least ILO2 1.30).
Reseating the blade or resetting ILO2 may also help."

The problem is that it does not power-on in order for me to update the ILO firmware on the blade. I suspect that the blade fails during the previous firmware upgrade. I also tried telnet the OA CLI and reset the ILO in blade but still the same. Any other means to make the blade to work. Please help. Thanks.
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Can you open the ILO in a web browser? You can update the ILO firmware through the web interface. It that doesn't do it, log a case with HP, and they'll replace the failed hardware under warranty if need be.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Junji
Advisor

No, I can not access the ILO in the OA Web Interface. All of the status indicates "Unknown" with mark "x" and states "Critical Error". Well, I will report this to HP technical and see what happens. Thanks.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Jun,

Was the power button disabled on this machine's RBSU (BIOS)? If it was, and the current iLO version is incompatible with the Onboard Administrator's firmware revision you will need to seat the blade into an enclosure with a lower OA firmware version or downgrade the firmware in the current OA.

You can also attempt to reset the iLO2 Override switch, however this has no impact on the iLO firmware in place. Check page 58 here:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00718709/c00718709.pdf

Good luck!
Junji
Advisor

I can't find OA firmware lower than version 2.02(a) in HP site. Do you know where I can find one which compatible with ILO lower than 1.30? I suspect that the ILO was reset and was defaulted to version below 1.30 when it fails during the firmware upgrade. I want to follow the suggestion of doing the OA downgrade so that it may communicate with the balde ILO then upgrade the ILO then next the OA. Thanks.
Junji
Advisor

I am closing this thread, the only resolution from HP is to replace the mother board of the Blade and upgrading the firmware. After replacement of the motherboard the blade is back to normal. Thanks for all who help.
Junji
Advisor

See my previous post.
Nobbie

Of the 44 BL460c blades we recently ordered, we've had about 7 motherboard replacements due to a similiar problem whereby the blade powers on for a few seconds, then powers off again without any display via the iLO remote console - without any message in the logs.

in one recent instance we had the same problem with the "Critical Error" displayed.

Seems like motherboard replacements are the only fix. I hope HP can find a "cure" for this problem.