BladeSystem - General
1753852 Members
8571 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C3000 - how to assign profile to MEZZ 1 NICs using Virtual Connect?

Jeff Lawrence
Regular Advisor

C3000 - how to assign profile to MEZZ 1 NICs using Virtual Connect?

I have a C3000 chassis with 2 HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Module's (Firmware Rev. 3.16) in IC BAY 1 and IC BAY 2. I have a BL460G6 with a dual NIC mezz card in MEZZ 1 and I can not assign a profile to the nics from the MEZZ 1 card that maps to IC BAY 2. I think this is a limitation of the HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Module. I am using IC BAY 3 and 4 for fiber so I really want to keep the ethernet to IC BAY 1 and 2. I should have bought a C7000 chassis for this... Is there a way to use Virtual Connect and utilize the NICs that map to BAY 2? Should I be using the FLEX 10 Ethernet card Interconnect Modules instead of the HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Module?
4 REPLIES 4
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: C3000 - how to assign profile to MEZZ 1 NICs using Virtual Connect?

Jeff

The NIC mapping is no different in flex 10 to what you have.
For half height blades (like 460) in a c3000 mezz 1 only maps to bay 2.

Your fibre adaptor (on blade) must be mezz 2 which maps to bays 3 and 4. For the modules you have this is the only supported configuration.

The answer is yes it should work. I would check your hardware (check it is in mezz one and reseat it, then the blade).
If this is all good at why do you think it isn't mapping? In the profile you should see the 2 mappings of your enets as lom1 and lom2, if you add more networks you should see mezz1:1 and mezz1:2. I think you may need to ensure you have the right/up to date drivers for the mezz for your OS though.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

Just a comment, (and I dont know for sure if this is h/w or f/w)

If your VC firmware is 3.x then I dont think the Mezz card NICs show up automatically in the profile template. You might need to right-click in the "Ethernet Connections" window, and select "add connection"

Dave.

Jeff Lawrence
Regular Advisor

yes, the NIC mezz card is in mezz slot 1 and the FC mezz card is in mezz slot 2. The blade enclosure sees that the new NIC's in BAY 2 but when I go to the Virtual Manager for the HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Module it only shows me the 2 NICS that are mapped to BAY 1. I even removed the HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Module in BAY 1 to force the Virtual Manager to use the HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Module in BAY 2 and it still doesnt show the NICs that are mapped to BAY 2. I have a couple spare HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Modules and I have tried to swap them out to see if it is a bad HP 1/10Gb-F VC-Enet Module with no luck. I have recreated the domain within Virtual Manager to support double-dense servers, no change. I change it back to single dense, same issue. Again, the overall C3000 blade chassis manager shows the NIC's mapped to BAY 2 but for the life of me I cant figure out to get Virtual Manager to see them... I have tried different NIC mezz cards in the server, same issue meaning that the chassis sees them but Virtual Manager does not. It is like you cant map to bay 2 using virtual manager for ethernet. I have tried to "add" as you mention and assuming I havent created a profile for the server it only shows me the overall BAY for the server which then only shows me the 2 onboard NICS. After I create a profile for the 2 onboard NICS then when I try to "add" again I cant choose that server bay anymore, it is greyed out.
Jeff Lawrence
Regular Advisor

I found what you were talking about. You have to open the virtual connect profile for that bay and then in area below the "Ethernet Adapter settings" title you right click and select "Add" and then it adds the next port in sequence and since i only had 2 it added port 3 and I did another add it added port 4. According to the overall chassis mapping, these are what the MEZZ 1 NIC card is mapped. I was able to then assign a profile to them. You can also delete ports in the same area in case you add too many or maybe you dont want to use them anymore.