BladeSystem - General
1752600 Members
4178 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

How to clone BIOS settings using Get-HPEBIOSSetting?

Sasler
Occasional Advisor

How to clone BIOS settings using Get-HPEBIOSSetting?

Hi,

In the Scripting Tools for Windows PowerShell User Guide BIOS Cmdlets v2.1 it says about Get-HPEBIOSSetting:

The cmdlet Get-HPEBIOSSetting returns all the BIOS configuration information for the target server. This information includes base configuration, current configuration, and pending configuration of the target server. You can also use this cmdlet to get the base configuration from one server and apply it to other servers.

However, the doc is not clear how to do this. I cannot find any cmdlet called Set-HPEBIOSSetting or similar to simply apply all these settings. How can we clone BIOS settings from one server to another? Are we supposed to use multiple cmdlets to apply the values from Get-HPEBIOSSetting?

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
B_Rajesh
Frequent Advisor

Re: How to clone BIOS settings using Get-HPEBIOSSetting?

Greetings,

Here is my answer for your query.

Are we supposed to use multiple cmdlets to apply the values from Get-HPEBIOSSetting?

Yes, you should use mutliple cmdlets to apply the values from one server to another server.

Here is an example how to clone SystemLocalityInformationTable from one server to another server.

1. Establish a connection to base server 

PS C:\> $baseServer = Connect-HPEBIOS -IP 10.20.30.1 -Username abcuser -Password abc123 -DisableCertificateAuthentication

PS C:\> $baseServer | Get-HPEBIOSACPI_SLIT | fl

IP : 10.20.30.1
Hostname : abc1.domain.com
SystemLocalityInformationTable : Enabled

2. Execute Get-HPEBIOSSetting and store it in a variable

PS C:\> $biosSettings = $baseServer | Get-HPEBIOSSetting

3. Establish a connection to target servers (one or more)

PS C:\> $targetServers = Connect-HPEBIOS -IP 10.20.30.2-3 -Username abcuser -Password abc123 -DisableCertificateAuthentication

PS C:\> $targetServers | Get-HPEBIOSACPI_SLIT | fl

IP : 10.20.30.2
Hostname : abc2.domain.com
SystemLocalityInformationTable : Disabled

IP : 10.20.30.3
Hostname : abc3.domain.com
SystemLocalityInformationTable : Disabled

4. Clone a SystemLocalityInformationTable settings from source to target servers.

PS C:\> $biosSettings.CurrentBIOSSettings | Set-HPEBIOSACPI_SLIT -Connection $targetServers

PS C:\> $targetServers | Get-HPEBIOSACPI_SLIT | fl

IP : 10.20.30.2
Hostname : abc2.domain.com
SystemLocalityInformationTable : Enabled

IP : 10.20.30.3
Hostname : abc3.domain.com
SystemLocalityInformationTable : Enabled

Please help me know if you need more informations.

Happy scripting

Regards
Rajesh Balakrishnan
I am a HPE Employee
GabbeB
Established Member

Hello, I,m trying to copy all the bios settings from one source to a target using the same method that is here, the commands complete but it doesn't update the configuration. Does it work to copy all the settings??
Hema_H
HPE Pro

The cmdlet Get-HPEBIOSSetting gets the entire configuration once but inorder to apply the configuration to the target, individual cmdlets needs to be executed as there is no single cmdlet that applies every setting at once. The specified example above copies ONLY SystemLocalityInforamtionTable information from source to target. 

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo