108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP BL460c G6 Memory Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

HP BL460c G6 Memory Issue

I have a BL460cG6 hh with 2 Processors and 36GB of memory in a c7000 enc. The mem are composed of 6x 2GB modules (PN:500202-061)& 6x 4GB modules (PN:500203-061.When populating one bank (proc 1)with 18GB (1D=4GB,2A=2GB,3E=4GB,4B=2GB,5F=4GB,6C=2GB), the server boots up and displays. When population the remaining bank (proc2) with the same config, the server boots but there is no post. All memory modules and processor have been tested, swapped and confimed ok..
Pleaze help..
7 REPLIES 7
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

When populating the remaining bank (proc2) with the same config, the server boots but there is no vga display either via ILO2 or on a monitor..
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
I've seen similar issue, check your blade firmware/bios level and if not current upgrade it.
As well check quickspecs at http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13238_div/13238_div.HTML - memory configuration..

Jan
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

I have updated the firmware and used the latest PSP's. However, the issue still remains.
I'll log a Warranty Call with HP.
Sanaullah
Advisor

Dear Kumdist,

I am facing the same issue in BL460c G6. HP level 1 and Level 2 engineers involve in this case. Story is too much long, Last at final stage we replace only the processor and remove both old processors.
Installed processor was good part received from hp. Server becomes operational and display. Upto now it is working fine.

I attached the screen-shot for your kind information which i faced 36GB memory error condition.

Regards,
Sanaullah Shah
Kumdist
Valued Contributor

Thanks Sanaullah,
I'll try swapping the processors at this stage to see. I have logged a case with HP. It is now with HP L1 support.
Out of interest, alot of users have been reporting this memory issue. HP must be doing something about it?
Sanaullah
Advisor

Dear Kumdist,

It is our responsibility that we should follow the hp recommendation.

Here in ITRC forum i am sharing what i observed. At first time i replace the complete memory installed in server as per hp recommendation. At second step i replaced the system board as per hp recommendation. As per hp guidlines i clear the NVRAM also shift server to backup ROM and observe the condition and shared (Complete required logs and activity steps what i performed) with hp.

At final step on parallel with activity i claim the 1x processor individually. After installation of single processor and removed the 2x old processor. Server becomes up and working fine. Upto now there is no issue occured. The whole activity shared with hp and in result hp send us part recommendation email for 2x processors.
In whole activity i didn't observe/found error logs(IML/ILO) of both processor.

That is complete what i observed. After that i observed the same issue in other blades server. First to diagnose faulty processor and finally claim it in hp depot. And problem resolve.

Finally, As you mentioned that case is logged in hp and case is at L1 engineer. So I personally request you to follow the guidelines what hp engineer suggest.

Regards,
Sanaullah Shah
sanaullah281@yahoo.com
Kumdist
Valued Contributor
Solution

Using the HP Memory DDR3 Configuration, I have determined the correct installation of the memory. And replaced the processor on the second slot. Server can now see all 36GB Memory.
Thank you all