BladeSystem - General
1754230 Members
4324 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Info about new Blade Systems

amo368

Info about new Blade Systems

I am looking at getting a blade system to replace my existing rack mounted and floor servers.

I am looking at the BL460C Quad core 2.33 Ghz Blade servers.

I know enough about the actual blades themselves but I need to know about everything else that I will need to purchase such as the blade enclosure 7000? Also, NIC cards? Switches? things like that.

I want full redundancy and I will be starting with 2 half height blade servers. Please any info would be great. THis is time sensitive and need info ASAP. THank you for any help you may give in advance...

5 REPLIES 5
AwadheshPandey
Honored Contributor

amo368

I know about the specs but I am talking about the whole system.

We will want Fibre channel connections but want to make sure I have everything down on my checklist to buy.

Any other help.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

All the BL460c will come with Embedded Nics. If you want to go for additional ones please visit the below link.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-interconnects.html

Switches depend on the External connection you have you can go for Ethernet or SAN one in the same above link.

If you are going to use all the 16 blades its better to go for virtual connect it has both Ethernet and Fiber channel.
you can find the same in the above link.

Regards,
Raghuarch

jdbarney

I've attached my recent order config to this post. It will give you some idea of the various components you might need to order. This order was for two enclosures fully populated with BL460c blades. One enclosure was dedicated to VMWare (so we added extra NICs, memory, and switches to it).

I would also suggest you run through the Power Sizer tool with the exact configuration of what you are buying (down to the CPU's and memory).

http://h71019.www7.hp.com/ActiveAnswers/cache/347628-0-0-0-121.html
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

For two half-height baldes, you will need at least 2 power supplies, 4 fans, 2 Onboard Administrator modules, 2 Virtual Connect ethernet modules, 2 VC Fiber Channel modules, and 2 Host Bus Adapters (fiber cards) for each blade.

This gives you absolutely full redundancy. Outside of a critical hardware component inside one of the servers or a midplane failure on the enclosure you will be safe.

Install both fiber cards in each server and then use VC-Enet in bays 1 and 2, VC-fiber in bays 3 and 5. You will have 2 fiber ports from card 1 pointing to bay 3 and 2 fiber ports from card 2 pointing to bay 5. The 2 embedded NICs will point at bays 1 & 2.

Good luck!