BladeSystem - General
1751895 Members
5166 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Installing Windows 7 on a ProLiant WS460c Gen8 Workstation Blade via SCCM 2007/MDT 2010

John Trask
Occasional Advisor

Installing Windows 7 on a ProLiant WS460c Gen8 Workstation Blade via SCCM 2007/MDT 2010

We're not primarily an HP shop, so some of what I'm asking is to be brought up to speed on how HP does things.

I'm trying to install Windows 7 x64 on ProLiant WS460c  Gen8 WS Blades via SCCM 2007/MDT 2010.  I've downloaded the ProLiant Support Pack (psp.wsb.9.70.win7.x64.exe).  I've extracted the contents, and extracted all of the zip files within the contents. 

I've imported all of the included drivers.  I'm surprised at how few there are.  I don't know if that means I did something wrong, if the support pack is missing drivers, or if this is really all I need.

I've created a boot media for the task sequence, but it can't find the NIC.  I included the only NIC driver I imported from the support pack, HP NC370T Mulitfunction Gigabit Server Adapter, on the boot media, but I still experience the same issue.

Is the support pack what I need?  Should I have more than 11 drivers imported from the support pack?  Is there a different NIC driver that I should be using?

7 REPLIES 7
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Installing Windows 7 on a ProLiant WS460c Gen8 Workstation Blade via SCCM 2007/MDT 2010

According to the QuickSpecs The WS460c Gen8 has one of the follwing NIC cards

HP Flex-10 10Gb 2-port 530 FlexLOM

HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLB FlexibleLOM

HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 554FLB FlexibleLOM

You will need the driver for these cards

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
John Trask
Occasional Advisor

Thanks.  That helps.

How specific is HP when it comes to these names?

The driver that is listed as "HP NC370T Mulitfunction Gigabit Server Adapter" in SCCM includes support for these NICs in bxnd.inf:

HP Flex-10 10Gb 2-port 530FLB Adapter

HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLR-SFP+ Adapter

HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLB Adapter

This .INF doesn't work on my boot media.  I'm just trying to figure out if it is because I don't have the correct driver, or if I've got some other problem.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I think they are close relatives.....  I'm not sure on the Windows naming scheme. For Linux, the NC370T uses the bnx2 driver and the others use the bnx2x.  The 370t is a gigabit NIC and the others are 10GbE adapters

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hello @ JohnTrask

Jimmy Vance is correct the HP Flex-10 10Gb 2-port 530 FlexLOM, HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 534FLB, FlexibleLOM, and the HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 554FLB FlexibleLOM are supported on the HP ProLiant WS460c Gen8 Workstation Blade but with basic network functions only with the Windows 7. 

I recommend contacting the HP Total Care department at 1-800-334-5144 for more information on the drivers for HP ProLiant WS460c Gen8 Workstation Blade, they will be able to answer all the technical Windows 7 installation questions.

Please let me know if there are any other ways I can be of assistance to you.

John Trask
Occasional Advisor

I may have to give up on this crazy dream.  Support told me that I need the HP Scripting Toolkit for Windows and Linux.  That's where the WinPE drivers are located.  I had to go back to version 9.40 to get WinPE 3.x drivers.  I've incorporated these drivers into my boot media, but I'm still not able to connect to the network.

I AM able to install Windows 7 manually on the system, but with little support for any of the hardware.  I was able to run the Support Pack executable and add the necessary drivers to get the system talking on th network.  I think this is what I'm stuck with.  It's not the end of the world.  It's not like I'm imaging one of these systems every day.

I'll keep working on it is my "spare time" and see what I can make happen.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Since the support pack is a subset of SPP 2014.06 I would try the current SPP or wait a few days/weeks for the new SPP 2015 and try this as a source for driver and component installation.

psp.wsb.9.70.win7.x64.exe:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5249681&swItemId=MTX_2fac224179a446d28b96944dca&swEnvOid=4063#tab2

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
John Trask
Occasional Advisor

I'll wait for the new version and see what happens.  I started with psp.wsb9.70.win7.x64.exe.  We'll see what happens.