BladeSystem - General
1748169 Members
4304 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Maximum Oracle instances on 2 processor Quadcore BL460(Vmware ESX)

Albert Ohene

Maximum Oracle instances on 2 processor Quadcore BL460(Vmware ESX)

Hello,

In my company, we have the intention of implementing Oracle RAC on vmware ESX environment. As a result of that we have purchased 2 processor Quadcore (= BL460) HP blade machine. We would have several instances of Windows 2003 ... one installed on each server blade.
How many Oracle instances can we create on this machine?
I would be grateful if you could bail me out of this.

Thanks,

Albert

3 REPLIES 3
Janardhanan PS

Re: Maximum Oracle instances on 2 processor Quadcore BL460(Vmware ESX)

I feel that it is not a good idea to deploy Oarcle RAC on Virtual machines hosted on one ESX server. My reasons:
1. If there is a HW failure or ESX failure, the entire Oracle will stop.
2. Oracle has not certified their products on VMware virtual machines. Oracle officially supports nly Oracle VM. We will not be able to register support calls to Oracle for problems seen on VMware. If we want to register a support call , we need to reproduce the problem on bare metal HW.
3. On a BL 460, you will be able to deploy upto 8 Virtual machines running Windows 2003.
4. If we run RAC on Virtual machines, we get protection against failure of Virtual machines only. This is very rare.

Why don't you form a cluster with another physical machine with or without ESX on it ?
Albert Ohene

Hello,

Thanks for your advise. How many Oracle instances can I deploy on this machine without VMware? Is it as many as the resources on the server will allow?

Thanks,

Albert
Janardhanan PS

Hi,
Regarding the number of Oracle instances that can be run a server, it is a tradeoff between the server capacity and DB response.

No one is imposing an upper limit on the number of Oracle single instances. But if one is using Oracle ASM, there is a limit on the total number of ASM disk groups that can be created on a disk group. I believe it is 64.

Rgds
Janardhanan