5019 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrate OA & Blade iLO interfaces to new VLAN

Dr_Oberts
Occasional Contributor

Migrate OA & Blade iLO interfaces to new VLAN

Hi,

I'm looking to move our enclosure and iLO management to it's own separate VLAN so it's away from the standard 'server' VLAN and am looking for direction in terms of the steps taken, and also whether there's anything else I need to consider.

My environment consists of 3 x c7000 (linked) enclosures, each with 2 x Flex10 Virtual Connect modules and 2 x OAs.

My thinking is as follows:

1) Configure new VLAN on switches and identify ports used for the OAs.
2) Log on to OAs and change IP addressing to new IPs associated with the new VLAN. At this point I lose connectivity (I'll be doing this remotely).
3) Change the switch ports that connect to each OA to be access ports in new VLAN. At this point I should regain access to the OAs on the new OA IP addresses.
4) Change the blade iLO IP addressing to the new VLAN.
5) Change the Flex10 IP addressing to the new VLAN.

Does that all sound correct?

Is this a disruptive task, as in, will it impact any production network traffic?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
AmRa
HPE Pro

Hi
All below steps are correct, While doing this active the VC module (Flex10) may experience NO-Communication (May not communicate to OA) in that case it will impact the production network traffic. Hence for safer side please schedule maintenance windows to perform this action.
1) Configure new VLAN on switches and identify ports used for the OAs.
2) Log on to OAs and change IP addressing to new IPs associated with the new VLAN. At this point I lose connectivity (I'll be doing this remotely).
3) Change the switch ports that connect to each OA to be access ports in new VLAN. At this point I should regain access to the OAs on the new OA IP addresses.
4) Change the blade iLO IP addressing to the new VLAN.
5) Change the Flex10 IP addressing to the new VLAN.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
Dr_Oberts
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed the VLAN option within the OA console. Would this allow me to change the OAs, iLO and VC management to a different VLAN less disruptively?

I'm assuming I'd just configure the OA switch ports as trunks with the relevant VLANs allowed?
AmRa
HPE Pro

Onboard Administrator 3.00 and higher provide a user-configurable IEEE 802.1Q tagged VLAN. This feature enables you to completely isolate traffic from the server or the interconnect module by creating a VLAN on the enclosure management network.

VLAN places no requirements or restrictions on the IP address. However, the external router or switch, which the Onboard Administrator is connected to, must be configured as a VLAN trunk access mode to route and pass multiple tagged traffic through the Onboard Administrators external Ethernet interface.

You can refer HPE BladeSystem Onboard Administrator - VLAN Commands if you want to perform action through OA CLI.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00040697en_us

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo