7493 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple LUNS

CraigScott
Occasional Contributor

Multiple LUNS

Hi All,

I have just installed a C7000 G2 enclosure with BL460c G6 Blades. I have installed a QLogic QMH2562 FC Card in each.

We also have a MSA1312fc SAN - Its all connected with a Brocade SAN Switch.

I have successfully created two volumes and mapped them to the first blade using LUN Numbers 1 and 2.

When the Blade boots, During the initial Qlogic card initialisation the Qlogic card only detects 1 LUN (always the lowest number thats been assigned)

When I get into the 2008 SVR Setup, the aditional drive is displaying but showing as offline. Is this correct?

When I go into the Qlogic configuration, into the disk manager I can see that it detects both LUNS Fine.

Is it only supopsed to show up the first LUN it finds when it boots, Im wondering why the other drive is displaying as offline? I can force it online during the 2008 setup however you cannot install Windows onto it.

Can anyone clarify if this is correct, maybe the only bootable drive is the lowest LUN Number?. I have used an IBM Blade and SAN Combination before and the Qlogic cards used to display all LUNS on boot (and I dont believe SVR setup showed any as offline).

Just wondering if this is normal?

Kind Regards,

Craig
3 REPLIES 3
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

You are trying to install OS to SAN LUN ? You have specified the boot LUN ? Usually that is the with lowest disk ID.

As a new user to forums, remember to assign points to answers before closing the thread.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
CraigScott
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jarkko,

Thanks for your reply - I have successfully installed the OS - I have assigned two Volumes to the Blade.

The OS is installed on LUN 1 and there is an aditional "data" volume assigned as LUN 2.

The OS can see both drives ok, however in the storage manager in the OS, it can see both drives twice. I believe this is because the Qlogic cards can see the volumes being presented on both fibre channels A1 and A2 on the MSA San.

Is this Normal? If so, Do you need to install the MPIO software on every server you wish to failover correctly? I was under the impression that the hardware did the failover automatically?.

I will ensure I assign points :)

Kind Regards,

Craig
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

if You have multiple paths to LUN use MUST use some multipathing (MPIO) software in your OS.

And during server POST only important LUN is the one where server boots / install happens.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi