5587 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Configuration Utility is Empty

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy Paul

Network Configuration Utility is Empty

I am running BL460 G1 blades with the NC737i network cards, Windows 2008 Enterprise SP1. The nics are working properly, but when I go into the NCU, it is blank... it does not see the nics.

I have updated the firmware (2.1.4.8, cp010607), I have the latest drivers (Broadcom 4.8.5, cp010693), and the latest NCU (9.65.0.9, cp010519). And for good measure, I have run ProLiant Support Pack (version 8.25 (A)).

Per support, I have also removed the NCU completely, removed/uninstalled the NICs, rebooted, reinstalled and confirmed the NICs, then reinstalled the NCU, but the problem persists.

Please note, I have tried NCU version 9.35, 9.60, 9.65... all with the same blank screen. This is happening on 7 different 2008 servers, all with the UAC disabled.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions/recommendations? Maybe a 3rd Party NIC Teaming software?
7 REPLIES 7
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Can you provide an screenshoot of the Device Manager Network Devices showing the hidden devices, I├В┬┤ve seen this issue when using Symantec End Point protection.
Andy Paul

These servers are running End Point. I will get a screen shot later today.

In the mean time, how did you resolve it, remove endpoint?
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Remove/disable the tefer2 from the protocol stack or the network devices on device manager
Andy Paul

Wow, thank LMM.

I disabled the Teefer2, the nics dropped network communication, but then appeared in the NCU.

I then enabled the Teefer2, server came back online, and the NICs were STILL visible in the NCU.

Looks I can now team the NICs. I will confirm tomorrow. Thanks.
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Great, you got it
Andy Paul

To sum up: This is a problem caused by the TEEFER2 driver from Symantec EndPoint Protection.

"This issue occurs when teefer2 driver is installed on a ProLiant Server running Microsoft Windows. Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 includes some new features as Firewall, Intrusion Prevention, Proactive Threat Scanning and Device Application Control. By default it will install the Teefer2 driver."

TO FIX:
Device Manager / Show Hidden Devices
DISABLE the Teefer2 driver for the active NICs
(note, this will kill network communication)
Run the NCU
Create, configure and commit the TEAM
When the team is built, it creates a new virtual NIC
This new virtual NIC will get the TEEFER2 Driver as well (which is ok)

Now you should be good. I know I am. Thanks for the help!
Andy Paul

Please see last post.