1748163 Members
3779 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No connectivity with 860c (VMS) & Flex 10 Ethernet Module

R. Comfort
Occasional Contributor

No connectivity with 860c (VMS) & Flex 10 Ethernet Module

Customer successfully configured 685c Flex 10 network connections but is having trouble with the 860c. The 4 1Gb NICs show up but he gets no network connectivity. Is there anything special that needs to be done to map 1Gb NICs to ports on the Flex 10 Ethernet interconnect?

Thx
5 REPLIES 5
The Brit
Honored Contributor

bl860c integrated NIC's map to IC bays 1 & 2, so the Flex10's must be installed in bays 1 & 2.

I dont believe there is anything special about assigning networks. All I can think of is that you might have to hard code the speed to 1GB.

If you resolve this, I would like to know what you found out. I am looking at installing Flex10's in my enclosures and I have bl860's.

thanks Dave.
Bill Hallinan
Occasional Advisor

I'm interested if this was solved. I'm having similar problem. C3000, Flex-10 interconnect, bl860c in device bays 1 and 5, LOM 1 -> Interconnect Port 5;
LOM 2 -> Interconnect Port 13;
LOM 3 -> Interconnect Port 1;
LOM 4 -> Interconnect Port 9.
No network connectivity despite seemly correct Flex-10 configuration.
Bill Hallinan
Occasional Advisor

And in Mezzanine 3: HP ISVB Pass-Through Mezzanine for HP BladeSystem
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Bill,

If I understand, you have bl860c in device bay 1 (bay 5 is subsumed).

Which IC Bay is your Flex10 module in??? (NOTE: there MUST be a VC Ethernet Module in IC Bay 1. If your Flex10 is not in Bay 1, then it needs to be linked to the module in IC Bay 1 using a "(stacking Link")

The connections from your blade to the interconnect modules are hard-coded, and do not require configuration. All that is required is that you ensure that the modules in the IC Bays in the correct bays, and are compatable with the type of communication taking place, i.e. either Ethernet, FC, etc.

In a c3000 enclosure, the 4 LOM nics are hard wired to IC Bay 1. (which is why there MUST be an Ethernet module in Bay 1). Also, the VC Manager Software can only run in Bay 1.

These mappings are out of your control, and you MUST comply with them.

OK. Assuming that you do have VC Ethernet Module in Bay 1. The connections to the external network can be done in a couple of ways.

1. Directly to the Network switch, or
2. via an "UpLinkSet".

If you intend for your blades to talk to many external vLANs then I would recommend the UplinkSet approach. To do this,
- Click on the "Define" drop down menu.
- Select "Shared Uplink Set.
- Enter a name for the Uplink Set.
- Add ports to the set (these are external uplink ports from the VC module to the external network switch.) (Note: all assigned ports in an UplinkSet must be from the same VC Module)
- If the VC Ethernet Networks exist already, you can add them, if they dont then dont worry about it.
- Click "Apply"

The uplink set should appear in the left hand navigation panel. If you now click on it, it should show all ports Linked and Active. If not check that the switch has LAPD configured for the physical ports on the switch.

Now create your VC networks.
- Click on the "Define" drop down menu.
- Select "Ethernet" network
- Enter a network name.
- Check the "Use Shared Uplink Set" box and select the UplinkSet. (Note the "SmartLink" option is now available)
- Check the "Smartlink" option
- Enter "External VLAN ID"
- Click on "Apply"

Your new Ethernet Network should now appear under the UplinkSet (Under Associated Networks)

Hope this helps.

Dave.
R. Comfort
Occasional Contributor

The problem I reported has been resolved. I was not there to have first hand knowledge but I was told that the problem was the miss match between the 1Gb blade server NICs and the Flex 10 Interconnect. Apparently the Flex 10 Interconnect had to be "forced" to 1Gb and I understand this was done in the CLI.