BladeSystem - General
1748201 Members
3091 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Onboard Administrator Error Response: 139 (Not a valid request while running in standby mode.)

Joe G
Occasional Advisor

Onboard Administrator Error Response: 139 (Not a valid request while running in standby mode.)

I'm having a very annoying problem with the Standby OA's kicking out these errors. Many threads have identified the same problem but none have found a fix. Has anyone finally been able to resolve? I've tried all the suggestions in every posting I could find with no luck. Help please
9 REPLIES 9
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Re: Onboard Administrator Error Response: 139 (Not a valid request while running in standby mode.)

When do you see this error?
Did you try to do any FW upgrade or issue a Command?
V Deepak Kumar
Regular Advisor

Is it with repect to Insight Power Manager?
If yes,
1) What version of IPM you have?
2) Do you have active OA discovered with IP address in SIM ?
3) Do you have standby OA discovered with IP address in SIM ?
4) Is standby OA a logical node, ie does it have a IP address?
Thanks
Deepak
Performance is compulsion and not an option if my existence is to be justified.
Joe G
Occasional Advisor

I see the errors a few times a day. I've done no firmware upgrades. I've checked the fixes on the latest OA updates and none addressed this problem. Most OA's are a 2.10. I may have one or two at a newer version, I would have to check but all 10 enclosures are getting the same errors. All OA's active and standby are seen by SIM and have valid ip addresses. IPM version is the latest, I believe it's 1.4
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Joe G
Occasional Advisor

I'll see if I can work that out with the customer but from reading, I don't see where a firmware upgrade addresses this issue or has fixed it in the past. This customer is not prepared to upgrade the iLo's, see below!

Onboard Administrator V2.20 requires a minimum iLO2 version of 1.50 for HP ProLiant blade servers. Please upgrade the iLO2 version to v1.50 or greater before attempting to upgrade the Onboard Administrator firmware. For more information on iLO, please see http://www.hp.com/go/ilo.
V Deepak Kumar
Regular Advisor

Hi,
One possible work around would be

There are two possible scenarios in which you would see this error

Steup: Both Active and standby OAs are discovered and associated with enclosure.
Both are discovered via IP address.

1) After SIM service restart probably once in every day. To fix this
a) Delete the secondary/standby OA from SIM.
Assuming there would never be a role change of OAs from Active to Standby.

2) Switch the role and click refresh Data and you would see the error : To fix this before clicking refresh data either
a) Go to the enclosure picture view
b) Or to avoid going to enclosure picture view register the SIM CMS to OA's to receive alerts when so that SIM would recevice an alert whenever there is a role change.
Thanks
Deepak
Thanks
Deepak
VinGin

Same problem...

Can we just disable the IPM???

Any solutions!!!
V Deepak Kumar
Regular Advisor

In case you want to disable IPM. Go to
Options-> Insight Power Manager from SIM menu.
Glenn Milne
Occasional Advisor

It doesn't sound to me like there is an issue with the firmware. If it's happening on all 10 enclosures I'd say it some sort of config issue. Maybe the Administrator passwords don't match on the Active and standby (Although I think the Active is supposed to change the Standby to match itself). Is there a networking issue? Possible bad switch that all enclosures are plugged into? There is a Link loss failover on the enclosure that if set, and there are connectivity issues, would want to switch to the Standby OA. If the passwords don't match...maybe it can't login to actually switch to the standby OA and gives you the error.