1748151 Members
3762 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem on see storage during VMWare Installation

paladinux
Occasional Advisor

Problem on see storage during VMWare Installation

when I try to install VMware-ESXi-5.0.0-Update1-623860-HP-Blade (downloaded from Hp website) on  c7000 enclosure and BL685c server  (connected via a HP 4Gb Fibre Channel Pass-Thru Module c-Class [403626 -b21] one storagework hP AD542Adoes not see any disk during installation
The problem is in storage? Bios configuration of the blade? or VMWare?
It 's my first installation of the Blade, bought used on eBay.
I'm trying to install VMWare on Blade, do you think I could do it directly on the HP 4Gb Fibre Channel Pass-Thru Module?

How can I change NAS configuration?

5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello,

AD542A is according to partsurfer.hp.com a HP STORAGEWORKS M5314A FC DRIVE ENCLOSURE. The normal use of this enclosure is to connect the AD542A to an EVA (3000/5000 maybe) and then connect servers to the EVA controllers.

I doubt it's possible to connect directly via FC to this enclosures and see the disks.

In the bl685c you also need a FC mezzanine card - do you have that?

In the OA of the c7000 you may have to do some port mapping as well.

paladinux
Occasional Advisor

I think that you have reason!
After a million of test, we decided to buy a local HDD for the BL6585c and installing virtualization on it.
The problem in this moment is the same: I can't access by pass-trhu at the disks; the blade enclosure OA don't permit to me to configure the port mapping and in the total Hp site don't exist a guide to configure the ports map(!!)
Is 2 days (and 2 night) that I try, and the CEO is a little bit irritated...
How can I find a guide to port mapping?

WissfeldA
Occasional Advisor

Sorry to ask so dumb, but do you have Mezzanine cards in your Blades ?

I've only seen such a port mapping when one of my trainees forgot to put the FC HBA mezzanine cards in the blades.

AFAIK there is no way to "configure" the portmapping, since the ports are hardwired to the midplane and can only be reviewed for convenience. E.G. Port 1 on Passthru 1 is Mezz1-Port1 on Bay 1 etc.

Although this pic is from a C3000 Blade with a SAN switch installed it should look like the 1st attachment.

Please review the status of your Mezzanine cards like in the second attachment and post back here.

Kind regards

Alex

paladinux
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much!
Who sell me (used) blade System don't include any mezzanine cards!

I'll wait his answer for that problem (that I hope is to send us a mezzanine card!)

Francesco

paladinux
Occasional Advisor

All solved.

Other problem born, but open another post.

Thanks for all