New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote ILO firmware updates

SOLVED
Go to solution
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Remote ILO firmware updates

Hi,

I am trying to update our ILO's to firmware 1.81.
What is the best way of doing this? I installed HP SUM and tried installing the firmware updates this way.

This fails with status "update returned an error".
The installation log contains only 2 lines:
WARNING: waiting time out for expected termination string from the HOST. Data in rec the buffer:
load-source http://:63000/Rep2/cp012189/0.bin

When I install the firmware update manually via the ilo of a blade, it works fine, but this isn't really fast since we have to upgrade over 150 blades...

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Is the IP referenced the machine running HP SUM? Anything blocking port 63000?

There are numerous ways to do this. Using the component pack you can use HP SUM or Version Control to do it (remember the target will be the host, not the iLO). A little counter-intuitive is the Lights-Out Directory Migration utility; it assists with firmware updates and you can terminate the process before you get to the directory setup step...

You also can host the .bin file on an FTP or HTTP server and run an HPONCFG command in the CLI of each OA.

Also, see here: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1269444105207+28353475&threadId=1311479
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your very fast reply.
I like to use the option with hponcfg.
I putted the cp012189.exe on an ftp server on the same subnet as the ILO's and extracted it.

So now, I have to ssh to the OA of the enclosure and execute this command?
hponcfg 8 ftp:///ilo2_181.bin

This gives me an error:
Request file does not contain a RIBCL element. Please check your script or script download location. Aborting.

Do I have to use another .bin file?

Thanks.
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Never mind.
I see my error now.

Instead of running hponcfg 8 ftp:///ilo2_181.bin I should run hponcfg 8 ftp://192.168.35.141/Update_Firmware.xml.
Where the Update_Firmware.xml is like this:

Now it works fine. Thanks :-)
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hey.

I'm using the HP ILO migration tool for mass-upgrades of our ILO. Mostly the app is for integrating the ILO to your Active directory but there is a nice feature that lets you upgrade ILO's with it aswell.

Fill in the ip's for the ilo's and login credentials and then a few "pages" in to the guide there is a firmware "page".

The app can be found here.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1146658&prodNameId=1135772&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23896&mode=3
pakm11
Advisor

There is also OA CLI commmand "update ilo".
sdb_2
Regular Advisor