BladeSystem - General
1748264 Members
3952 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replacing VC 1/10 modules with 1/10-F and keeping config?

SOLVED
Go to solution
AccuMegalith
Advisor

replacing VC 1/10 modules with 1/10-F and keeping config?

We are adding a second C7000 enclosure to our datacenter, and want both to be in one VC domain. At the time we set up the first enclosure, we used 1/10Gb modules because the need for a second enclosure seemed remote and none of our switch infrastucture used fiber. Per the "Setup and Installation Guide," we know we need 1/10Gb-F modules in the primary enclosure.

I see two potential options:
1. Make the new enclosure the VC primary, and add the existing enclosure as a remote enclosure.
2. Remove the 1/10-F modules from the new enclosure, swap them for the 1/10 modules in the existing enclosure, restore the VC configuration, and connect the second enclosure with the reused 1/10 modules as a remote.

I don't even know if the first option is possible, as I've seen nothing about merging VC domains or importing settings from one into another.

The "Setup and Installation Guide" (p.44 Apr 2009) refers to an upgrade to Flex Connect modules, but nothing about from 1/10 to 1/10-F. Will this upgrade work in a similar manner? Will I be able to preserve my existing VC configuration? Will I need to remove and restore the VC profiles from the blades? Has anyone actually done this upgrade and not needed to recreate the configuration?

The existing blades (BL460c G1) have only the standard onboard Gb NICs, I also have two VC FC modules installed, and the VC firmare is at 2.10. I know this won't be a hot-swap upgrade, and I've planned for an overnight installation.
White water rafting on a river of acid
7 REPLIES 7
Vincent Berger
HPE Pro
Solution

Upgrading VC 1/10 to VC 1/10-F is actually simpler than upgrading to Flex-10 because the 1/10-F is "horizontally compatible" with the 1/10. So you can take one of your 1/10 out and plug in a 1/10-F, wait for the configuration to synchronize, take the other 1/10 out and replace it, now you have your master enclosure with 1/10-F modules and you can import the remote enclosure into it.
Note that the remote enclosure must not have a VC Domain configured, you can't merge domains, so your option 1 is indeed not possible and you'll want to clear the config of your 1/10 modules after putting them in the new enclosure.

Vincent
AccuMegalith
Advisor

Get out. I actually catch a break on something this time??? Spiffing.

Should I still administratively remove each module (or whatever it's called), one at a time, or do I just fail over and remove it?
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

And remember to use the right ports on the 1/10-F for uplinks. You dont want to put in a 1/10-F module and find that you now have uplinked ports or SUS set to use 10Gb or SFP ports with no SFPs in them.... so losing connections.
AccuMegalith
Advisor

I use ports 1-4 on the 1/10 modules as my uplink set. Can I safely assume that those same copper ports, since they have the same port numbers, on the 1/10-F modules will automatically become the uplink set?

Also, at the bottom of p.37 of the "Setup and Installation Guide" is this phrase, under the heading "Connecting multiple enclosures": "Bay 1 and bay 2 of the primary enclosure must have Fibre uplinks." Does that mean simply that I must have a module with fibre ports, e.g. a 1/10-F, or that I have to use the fibre ports for the uplink set?
Vincent Berger
HPE Pro

It just means modules with Fibre ports. You can use any ports you want for stacking.
The port names for the first 4 1Gb copper ports should be consistent between the 1/10 and the 1/10-F although I haven't verified that specifically.

Addressing an earlier question, you shouldn't have to administratively remove the modules from the Domain. That's only necessary when you replace a module with another of an incompatible type (or with nothing at all).

Vincent
AccuMegalith
Advisor

I did this replacement this morning, and it worked as explained. At the time I replaced them, VC-2 was active as were its uplinks, so I replaced VC-1 first. No apparent loss of connectivity. Then I forced a failover to VC-2. When I replaced VC-2, though, it did appear that the uplinks dropped, as none of the blades could communicate with non-blade hosts. What I didn't think to check was if the active uplink trunk followed the VC module failover. I assumed failing over VC also failed over the uplinks.
Vincent Berger
HPE Pro

Which module is active for the VC Manager application is totally independent of which module has Active uplinks for any given VC network. In fact you can perfectly have active uplinks on module 1 for one VC network and uplinks active on module 2 for another VC network.