3925 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting Blade Server ILO passwords in c7000 Enclosure

John F. Garcia
Advisor

Setting Blade Server ILO passwords in c7000 Enclosure

Hello,

We know that if we use the HP Onboard Administrator GUI, we can access all of the Blade Server ILOs without a prompt for a password. We would also like the option to go directly to the ILO through our web browser without the Onboard Administrator GUI. When we do this, we are prompted for a password. We have been setting this password within the Onboard Administrator GUI, for each server.

My question is, with the large number of servers that we have, is there a way to set a group of ILO passwords at one time through the Onboard Administrator, or through any other method? Otherwise, I will work on setting this password individually.

Thanks in advance...John
11 REPLIES 11
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If you are familiar with the HPONCFG utility which uses XML-syntax RIBCL language, you can use this from your OA to perform this configuration. You will need to host the XML file containing the configuration you wish to set on a tftp, ftp or http server. Then you will be able to issue the following command from the OA command line:

HPONCFG ALL xxTP://location/configfile.XML

Better yet, rather than having to admin all those accounts/passwords in iLO, consider upgrading to LDAP authentication.
John F. Garcia
Advisor

I did not know you can use LDAP for ILO passwords. That is something I will definitely look into.

Thanks, John
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

This is what you want....worked for me.
I changed the passwords on 3 enclosures in about 5 minutes.

To use:
Establish an SSH connection to an Onboard Administrator
Edit any of the below scripts to reflect the desired settings
i.e. Passwords, change the 'all' to specific bays separated by a comma (1,3,5,16A)
Cut and paste the script into the terminal emulator with the SSH connection to the Onboard Administrator
Observe the results for errors

HPONCFG all << end_marker

end_marker
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Does this procedure work for Itanium Blades or is it just Proliants?

Dave.
John F. Garcia
Advisor

Hi Adrian,

I ran all of the commands that you displayed and so it doesn't give me any errors. Each blade that it goes through displays:

MESSAGE='No error'

Do you have to reset anything or do any additional saves before this takes effect? My password still hasn't changed. I also tried to add a different username and it doesn't seem to create the new user.

Thanks again, John
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

John,

I used putty with SSH to access the OAs. And I just did a cut/paste of the whole script when I had logged in. (with a different user/password).

It ran what seemed to be a multi stage task. Where I got say 7 processess started and then some of those responded with the next stage at the same time as it started some more.

It did fail on 2 blades that I knew the ILO had problems communicating with the OA.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

The information Adrian has provided will only change the password for an already-existing user. You need to provide other XML commands to add users and enable LDAP or directory groups. Consult this manual, beginning on page 69:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294268/c00294268.pdf

This is quite easy to use, typically you can just copy an example from the document and modify it to meet your specific needs.

Good luck!
John F. Garcia
Advisor

Hello, and thanks to all for the responses.

I actually do want to change the password of the built in user "Administrator". I have also tried to create a new user. Although neither method seems to produce an error, I am not getting the password update or the new user creation as expected.

I appreciate the link to the ILO command line guide. I will look through that to see if I can make sense of this.

Thanks, John
Rambaldi
Occasional Contributor

Anyone have an issue with using an FTP server and having the password being passed in clear text? Anyone have a more secure way of doing it?