BladeSystem - General
1751977 Members
4450 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Software Protection Dongle on Blade Server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Fanning_1
Occasional Contributor

Software Protection Dongle on Blade Server?

I need to upgrade a couple of oldish servers and am considering Blade Servers /C3000 enclosure.

An application on one of the servers is protected by a Dongle fitted to a 25 pin serial port. Neither the Blade Servers or Enclosure have provision for this. Or do they?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Software Protection Dongle on Blade Server?

Wow, exactly how old are we talking about? The 25-pin serial port went out with the PC-XT and was replaced by a 9-pin female on the PC-AT, and ever since 9-pin is the standard.

You might contact your software vendor and see if they now use a USB dongle. The BladeSystem ProLiant servers have an internal USB port designed for exactly this purpose.
David Fanning_1
Occasional Contributor

Ha ha - yes we're a bit behind the times in Norfolk. Thanks for the reply I'll check with the software supplier re a USB dongle.
Thomas Bauer_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

you told somthing about "The BladeSystem ProLiant servers have an internal USB port designed for exactly this purpose."

Where do I find this port in the blade?
We have 15 p Class-Blades and have the problem, that some Software vendors will use an USB Dongle. We just have the possibility to connect the USB on the front?

Would be glad for any information.

Thx Thomas
David Fanning_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Have a look at the HP QickSpecs. For example, this one:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12518_div/12518_div.pdf
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

p-class blades do not have an internal USB. So you wont find it.

c-class blades do.
aboerup
Frequent Advisor

I can confirm that the use of a USB security dongle (Rainbow/Sentinal) works with the internal USB port in HP C-Class blades. I've customers require the use of one and we utilized it during an install and it worked no problem and did not cause any problems with boot cycle.